Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boat canopy could not take all this snow(OT)
I bought one of those canopy that you can drive into or park your boat under. It worked great until all this snow came but it could not take all the weight at the same time. Here is a picture of what it looks like now, plus a look at how much snow we have in Ogden, you can almost see my car but at least the post man can get to my mail box!!! WH2
[signature]
WOW that some serious snow and I thought we got alot out here in Kearns
[signature]
We have over 30 inches, here are a couple more pictures. The worse thing about the canopy going dawn is the damage it did to the boat, it broke my new windshield. I hope my insurance pays for the damage. WH2
[signature]
Ouch. Man that sucks. I hope your insurance will pony up the cost of the windshield. Good luck with that.
[signature]
We've got about 33" on the East bench here in Layton. Anyway, that's what I measured - my wife measured 18". Hey, wait a minute!![crazy][crazy][crazy][crazy]
[signature]
Sorry to hear that. Didn't you break your windshield last winter also?
[signature]
Curt, sorry to see your boat get dinged that smarts, what hurts even worse is you still get hit by the deductable, double ouch!
[signature]
Last winter was the first winter with the new windshield. It cost 240.00 plus I paid 80.00 for the canopy on sale, I won't be able to find one that cheap again. My deductable is 125.00 on my insurance so hopefully they will give me replacement cost. WH2
[signature]
That sucks Curt!Good luck with the insurance!!M.H.
[signature]
I hope everything works out for you. You should be OK except for the deductable. They will fix it regardless of what it costs after you pay the first $125 so don't fret you'll be OK.

Take care. That sure was a lot of snow. We got 13" in West Jordan the first day then 4" a day until today. My father in law lives in Sandy and he got 28" the first day
[signature]
Thanks everyone for your concern, at least no one was hurt thats the main thing and like one of my friends is always saying, it's only money and I can always get more. Ha,Ha.
[signature]
Sorry to see the Winter Weather has taken a personal toll upon your watercraft. I also have one of those covers and after clearing the snow off the top I was glad I left my boat under the carport and left the truck out on the driveway.

Just a little heads up on the insurance claim - I would persoanlly just hack out the $$$ for the windshield and save any claims for REALLY BAD STUFF - like loosing your boat, personal injury, etc.

WHY - because they might drop you after they payoff your claim and/or raise your rates. If you have to get coverage elsewhere your rates WILL BE HIGHER....

Save your claim for the HIGH $$ stuff - after 9/11 insurance is at a premium.
[signature]
Sorry to hear about the damage. As for the canopy, if the brackets are still sound but the poles are bent then you could replace them with electrical conduit or fence posts. Might be cheaper then trying to buy a new shelter??
[signature]
WH2, I have been there!

First year I bought one, it cost $100 bucks, but under the snow the poles buckled.

Luckily no damage was done, and the brackets were all still in tact.

I replaced all my poles with chain link fence posts. If you go to home dpot, you can pick up 8 ft poles. they are thicker walled, and tougher than the poles that come in the kits and fit right into the brakets.

Mine is still standing to this day, three years later. No problems. Of course, the fishing boat is inside, but the duck boat lives under that canopy all winter long.

The same year mine came down, skeeter2 bought the same one, and his came down the same night mine did. Those things have a limit when they are stock.
[signature]
Thanks for the idea Predator and Fish1on, the brackets look ok but I'll have to dig it out a little more to know for sure. I do know the corner and outside brackets are OK.
Lundman, I was thinking the same thing on the insurance, I think I'll hold off and see if I can do a temp repair for now. If it don't hold up I can always replace it later. WH2
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Dude, that's got to hurt! OUCH! Hope everything works out for you![/size][/font]
[signature]