Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bear lake 09-10-14 & 09-13-14
Wiperslayer and I fished the West side of Big Blue on the 10th. We mainly trolled the Rockpile and out in front of the State parks marina, picking up three cutts. We also jigged for an hour or so with no luck.
Yesterday, the 13th, Wiperslayer, Reelfast and I trolled the East side of BL from 8am till 3:30 PM. We picked up 9 cutts, up to 24" and 1 mack. We fished in 60 to 120 FOW our speed was 1.7 to 2.1 mph. We caught fish on a lot of different lures, from Rapala's to spoons. Lots of boats out there on Sat, even saw one just like Reelfast's 21 ft Thunder Jet, that had a BFT sticker on it. Anyone else up there yesterday?
WH2
[signature]
Nice report... We will be heading up before Sep is out, and hopefully into October.
[signature]
Good job. I will keep my powder dry until mid October when the long lining starts.
[signature]
Hey Curt can you make those pictures any smaller? I can almost see them on my smartphone.
[signature]
LOL, that's funny, because that is where they came from. Reelfast took them with his phone a sent them to me in an Email. I don't know how they work, does the phone automatically resize them?
[signature]
Thanks for the report curt. I've been wondering just how the September trolling was. I'm surprised you didn't score more macks than just that one.
[signature]
I've been back home for couple of days now working at catching up on honey do's and yard work. Bear L came into my vocabulary late last Saturday. Today I will do a looksee around my boat since its been high & dry for a couple weeks in preparation for some trolling action at the Bear Tuesday. [fishin]
[signature]
I did talk to Bearlakefishguy while we were up there, he reported catching a mack or two on or around the Rock pile the same day, Sat. There appears to be a big shift in the numbers of macks vs cutts at BL. With the state of Ut no longer stocking macks only cutts, it appears their efforts of restoring streams where the cutts spawn are having a positive effect. Most, if not all the cutts we caught on both days were native cutts.
[signature]
With this shift it makes one wonder if the restrictions on natives might shift as well to what limitations are for keepers such as the slot limit that is at Strawberry or Lost Creek. Maybe further restrictions are needed to preserve the Mack population. Not sure if this is a good approach with the constant changing of some lakes fisheries. [:/]
[signature]
Maybe BLFG will get in on the conversation but there could be something like that in the works. Since no native cutt can currently be keep, it seems logical that if this trend continues they might lift the ban on keeping them. As far as adding more restrictions for macks, that is always a possibility but I really haven't noticed a big difference in the numbers of them being caught. Some days are better than others but I can't say their numbers are down. Any time I go up to BL and catch a mack I consider myself lucky. The Gorge supports some impressive numbers of macks but BL has never had huge numbers of them and those never grow to the size that the Gorge produces, mainly because of the lower amounts of bait fish in BL. If they put any restrictions on the BL macks, it should be that none can be kept under 28" but that is just my opinion. Before Ut started giving the cutts a higher priority, it was very common to go up there and not catch any fish, now at least you can expect to catch some cutts on every trip and thats a big plus imo.
[signature]
Good trip for numbers. Can't beat the weather and company.
[signature]
I agree with you Curt. Macks do well in other lakes which allows them to grow in size according to food source. I would think with the abundant supply of cisco Macks would get larger. What there is in Bear L should at least have a good chance of survival. This past month I was able to catch a nice 20lber but released it. Anymore I go fishing, all of my catches are released unless I'm after Gorge Kokes. I usually bring a limit home. My trips to the Gorge during the past 2yrs are just day trips with maybe 3 total over the summer.
[signature]
I think that jet sled you saw may have been rebel-something or other. The member with Bear Lake Fishing Charters in his signature.
[signature]
That was what I was thinking as well but there were several jet boats up there on Sat. I did send him a PM.
[signature]
Wow, a twenty pounder from BL is a great fish, how long was it? Yea, we release most trout about the only fish I keep any more are kokanee and walleye, with a few perch and crappie when they are biting.
[signature]
Nice fish!

Hope we get some water in river when they get done watering beets.
[signature]
I almost don't run a tape on length in regards keeping the fish alive. A quick picture and using a scale to weigh the monster to me is about all I do. Pulled in an 18lber about 4yrs ago and a couple in the 10-12lb range. If I ever get a possible record, the tape will come out.
[signature]
I got out last Saturday as well. We launched from Rainbow Cove and worked south from there. Hooked into something big, but never got it in the boat. I plan on being back up this coming Saturday also.
[signature]
buckhunterhart
What kind of boat were you in, we must have seen you there? We switched a lot of lures before we found one they wanted and even then it was not very consistent, considering we had 6 lines in the water.

Bduck
Wow, you have caught some nice fish at BL, I've never caught one over 33" and 10 lbs.[Sad] I guess I need to fish it more.
[signature]
I have said for years they need to do something to help preserve the lake trout in Bear Lake I also asked at their yearly meeting about having part of the limit to include only one fish over 24 inches and protect them from the fall snaggers. I will just enjoy it while it lasts and hopefully my kids will still have the opportunity to catch large lakers with their kids.