Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wanting to learn
My in-laws gave me some pretty nice fly fishing gear, at least I think it's nice gear (mostly Orvis), when I graduated from the U ten years ago. I figure it's time I learn how to use it.

I'm wondering what recommendations you all have for a newbie wanting to learn. Is there a series of videos, or some good books to read, etc. Something with pictures of different flies and which ones tend to work best at different times of the year.

Thanks for any info/help that you're willing to share.
[signature]
I suggest at first youtube fly casting so you can get an idea of the casting motion and some of the mechanics,

second hire a guide even if its only for a half day. A guide will be able to answer any question you might have and correct any mis-proper techniques side note if you hire a guide ask them if you can take a picture of the flies there using (guides have some super secret flies you wont find on any website )[cool] )

Lastly Practice Practice Practice, pratice in your back yard or at park on the grass try not to cast on asphalt or concrete it will tear up you fly line.

Oh and ask you guide how he reads the river how he finds eddies and rifts ( basically were fish might be holding at )
[signature]
Tons of Youtubes. Most the Fly shops around here have casting classes and at pretty fair prices. Check Sportsmans, Cabela's and Scheels.
You can learn to rig up here, such as leaders and tippet, even flies. But, need to know if you plan on stillwater and if so, from shore or from boat. Or River/streams. Some flies are universal, but most stillwater flies are different than moving during the year.
Assuming you have floating line, it can work fine on both. As the lakes cool, fish do come closer.
As for casting, Classes. It is hard to learn to haul, and double haul on your own. False casting your arm should travel a straight line like painting the underside of a shelf. Keep wrist straight.
But I suggest learning to Roll Cast. You will need water to learn this, but you can us it anywhere. Trees, wall behind you...roll cast.
Welcome to the Orvis Dorkdom[Smile]
Ask questions....
[signature]
I second that the double haul is a pain in the butt to try to learn without a teacher (Learned that one with a heavy clouser fly fishing for coho on the beaches of the Puget Sound [crazy]]) I learned a lot from YouTube but as Sinergy [Tongue] said practice, practice, PRACTICE! For a first practice/trip I would suggest to go the Uintas before it snows and try it out. The fish up there will be hungry and more than willing and forgiving(sometimes) to take your fly.

I would look up the orvis company on YouTube.
[signature]
Go with someone who knows how to fly fish. You'd be surprised how many fly fisher folks are eager to teach you.

I made friends with some local guys at the sandy pond a few years back. Decided one day to try my fly rod, failed miserably, and wouldn't you know it the other fly guys taught me how to cast better, and even gave me the right fly for the pond that day.
[signature]
[quote TyeDyeTwins]Go with someone who knows how to fly fish. You'd be surprised how many fly fisher folks are eager to teach you.

I made friends with some local guys at the sandy pond a few years back. Decided one day to try my fly rod, failed miserably, and wouldn't you know it the other fly guys taught me how to cast better, and even gave me the right fly for the pond that day.[/quote]

Troutman it was Sinergy that said practice.[Smile]
There are a lot of people that love sharing the wealth. I certainly love helping.
BUT, if you come across a fly fisher that is there to fish and might not want to help, this does not mean they are rude or elitist. Just means they want to fish.
In other words, don't EXPECT it, but if you get it appreciate it.
[signature]
You tube Hank Patterson Fly Fishing Guide!!!
[signature]
[quote teepindian]You tube Hank Patterson Fly Fishing Guide!!![/quote]

NO MORE CALLS, we have a winner[laugh]
[signature]
It really depends on how you learn best. I learned to fly fish by taking up an offer from a friend to take me out to the Duchesne and show me. If you have someone do that (or hire a guide for a few hours if you don't), you can avoid learning bad habits/ wrong technique from the very start. You'll get feedback immediately if you're forcing your cast too hard or whatever else that you'll do wrong. This is a very quick way to pick up the basics. Plus many places like the Uintas mentioned you'll probably be catching fish within minutes. I've also taught 2 people to fly fish the same way I did. Both caught a over a dozen trout on a small streams their first hour out. A lot better than casting in an empty field after watching videos. With that basic experience you can then read and watch videos and apply it. In my mind what get's overlooked in watching videos and reading is people don't learn to adjust/ improvise for the conditions present. Won't be likely you'll be doing anything others haven't done before. However it would take hundreds of hours of videos to address such a wide range of conditions you'll likely encounter on stream. The other area that is critical is to learn when and where to fish with changing seasons/hatches/ fish migration/ weather and flows (whether due to nature or manmade release s of water from dams and tunnels). I can pretty much catch fish any day of the year in Utah on a size 10-12 bh prince nymph knowing where to go that day. If you don't know where to go some days you fish places with little to no chance of catching any fish with any fly.
[signature]
See if there is an Orvis 101 class being offered close by. They are free and go over the basics (lines, leaders, knots, etc.) and get you out casting during the class. They supply all the gear but if you already have some stuff you can usually use that.
[signature]
Agree,
[signature]