Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Performance Split Rings
[Image: 72233.jpg]Have any of you noticed that when tying on a lure how the line always works it way into the narrow part of the split ring. Or how the split rings on your crankbaits is either sprung open from installing a large treble hook or looks undersized for the species you are targeting....

I saw these in the new Basspro Master Catalog I just got a week ago. I started examining most of my crankbaits and noticed that this is a WEAK link in my fishing presentation. I am now placing my order to replace a lot of my less than ideal split rings.

I have already purchased a pair of split ring pilers for installation....

Have a Great New Year and hope you fishing adventures are a big success.
[signature]
[cool][size 1]Hey, LM, split rings have always been a big issue with a lot of hardbait fanciers. It is hard to comprehend why a manufacturer spends so much on fancy finishes and then sacrifices on split rings...and hooks.[/size]

[size 1]You are right on target when you observe that the split ring is one of the weakest links in the whole fishing chain. I have seen factory installed split rings that were so poor they stretched out and came apart with even the lightest pull. What happens when you hook that trophy of a lifetime on one of those wimpy split rings? Right. A lot of big fish are lost to lousy connectors.[/size]

[size 1]I make a lot of my own spinner baits and hardbaits, and I go through a bunch of split rings. I have found that you can never take it for granted when you read the descriptions in the catalog or online. I have sent back more than a few "heavy duty" split rings that would not hold shape when installed on a lure...but sprung apart...or pulled apart when pressure was applied.[/size]

[size 1]I like the oval design of those Rick Clunn split rings. Looks like they will prevent getting your line caught in the gap. However, at $2.49 for 15 to 20 rings...they are a lot more pricey than even the best quality round rings.[/size]

[size 1]As with all other elements of fishing tackle, it boils down to a matter of personal preference, and the budget to back it up.[/size]
[signature]
I first noticed the problem a couple years ago when musky fishing. All my musky cranks had bent split rings. They just couldnt handle the weight of the fish.

Then I saw the same thing on my wiper cranks. Them hard pulling critters will bend a stock split ring like no other.

Its a good idea to have a bunch of high quality rings on hand.
[signature]
[font "Arial"][red][size 2]I think that I better start checking all of my gear for he bad split rings, as well as any other defects. Thanks for the update.[/size][/red][/font]

[font "Arial"][#ff0000][size 2] AFDan52[/size][/#ff0000][/font]
[signature]
[cool][size 1]Hey, anybody who wants to use the oval split rings, I just saw them as a new item on the Jann's Netcraft online catalog at [url "http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/default.asp?p=0"]http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/default.asp?p=0[/url][/size]

[size 1]They list only size 5 and 6, which are pretty big, but about right for replacing on the big hardbaits. For the sake of comparison, the size 5 lists at $1.25 for [url "mailto:25...@4.20"]25...@4.20[/url] per 100.[/size]

[size 1]They are touted as zinc coated stainless steel. Should be tough enough...and the oval shape to prevent rotation and knot slippage.[/size]

[size 1]They are on page 6 of the PDF file online catalog.[/size]
[signature]
Another little trick you can due with split rings is to double them.I do this on all the baits I build with the exception of the ones I use the 3x rings on.To double the rings you have to use a ring 2 sizes larger than the first...example...use a # 3 & a #5 or a 4& 6....I would hate to have a split ring fail and someone lose a fish of a life time!!!!!!!..Nathan
[signature]
[cool][size 1] Hey, nathan, why not just buy the heavy duty nickel rings and be done with it. Not questioning your successes, but doubling up seems a bit much. I also suspect that it would be difficult to get two rings through the eye of some hooks. [/size]

[size 1]When simply attaching a spinner blade...where no weight will be applied...I use the cheaper and more flexible split rings. However, when there is any chance of a big ol' biggun chomping on one of the hooks, you can be sure I go for the best split ring I can get to attach that hook. And, a good heavy duty ring will be stronger than most of the lines you would be using.[/size]

[size 1]Always amazing how somebody will spend money on good tackle, gas to get to a far off fishing hole, motel rooms and all that...and then use the cheapest terminal gear they can buy. WHY go to the trouble of putting yourself in front of big fish, when you ain't got a chance to land them when they climb on?[/size]
[signature]
TubeDude...your point is well taken,and your right..it's very time consuming using 2 split rings..but I've done it this way for so long my customers have come to expect it!!I don't want them to think I've gone cheap on them...And your also right about people spending all that money to go fishing...then cutting corners on the cheapest piece of their tackle!!!!!..Nathan
[signature]