Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
hungry holes
What have you lost down ice holes?

I've only ice fished once and our group lost a skimmer and part of a pole stand.
[signature]
Dont remember loosing a thing. I know a lot of guys loose rods and reels, but not me.
[signature]
Forceps in 50 feet of water at Electric Lake -- and I got them back!

[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=28359;search_string=forceps;#28359"]http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=28359;search_string=forceps;#28359[/url]
[signature]
Last night I was close to losing a rod down the hole. I was trying the walk away from your rod and you will get a bite trick. Well when I turn around after getting into my backpack my rod was halfway down the hole. Got the rod and the fish 21" cut.
[signature]
I lost a new pole and ended up getting it back with the fish still on. This year I lost my gas lever on my power auger but jimmy rigged some wire so it works goods.
[signature]
[blush]ROD AND REEL INTO STRAWBERRY,GOT CRAP FROM A FREINDS WIFE MOST OF THE DAY UNTIL SHE LOST HER'S DOWN THE HOLE.
[signature]
No, nothing here yet either.
Knock on wood ...
[signature]
was it shakepeare who first said "revenge is sweet"

[shocked]

sm
[signature]
Dan lost his scooper down the hole at Sulpher Creek during the derby last year. 4 of us spent most of Saturday afternoon using the Aqua-View and everything in our tackle boxes, plus about 3 cases of beer trying to snag it back. We never did get it, but it was a heck of lot more interesting than the fishing.
[signature]
I dropped my swiss army knife down a hole at Schofield last year. I had the scissor blade open to trim line. When my buddy reeled in his line the scissors were straddling his bug, so I got the tool back!
[signature]
By the sound of things I think I am going to try to rig up some way to tie my pole to to the tent. It sounds like fish get away with the pole a little too often.

Loren Sackett
[signature]
I heard Petty tried to go down one of the holes before does that count?
[signature]
I kind of took a neighbor kid under my wing years ago when I moved back to Utah. He's notorious for breaking things. One of the times I took him ice fishing, he put my brand new two piece ice auger together and started drilling a hole. I told him to make sure the bolt was tight that holds the two pieces together. He assured me it was. Less then a minute later, he calls my name and I turn around to see him holding the top half of the auger up in the air. The bottom half was on the bottom of the lake.
[signature]
[cool][size 1]I once witnessed an 8" hole swallow about a half dozen fishermen. It was toward the end of a short iceup on Willard Bay's south marina area. The ice was rather thin and spongy, after several warming days. Still, there were some folks dipping for crappies and a few bluegills.[/size]

[size 1]One guy was standing on the ice a few feet away from a dock, and jigging some small crappies with fair regularity. When he hung a 16" walleye, that got everyone's attention. The aforementioned half dozen dimbulbs crowded around to see the fish...and, you guessed it, the ice simply sagged and water flooded up the hole as everyone slipped into the depression.[/size]

[size 1]The good news is that a couple of other guys were on the dock and were able to reach out and pull the shocked swimmers up onto the dock. No casualties other than some lost tackle and I think I recall the fish was lost too.[/size]
[signature]
I luckily havent lost anything through the ice yet, amazing too!!! [cool] But TD your story at Willard amost came to light at Lost Creek a couple of weeks ago. When Aquaman had his huge rainbow on, everyone decided to crowd his hole, with about a dozen of us in a 5 foot cirlce the ice started to flex pretty bad and the cracking started. Luckily the 5 inches held us long enough to let us disperse!!!
[signature]
Take it from experience, when the ice breaks and sucks you under, you'll never forget the sound the ice makes just before you go under.
[signature]