Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Starvation
Myself and few friends made a weekend journey to Starvation this last weekend.

I have to say that I have never seen Starvation as boat and camper crowded as it was this last weekend. We did find a place at Rabbit Gulch to camp and could launch an 18 foot boat there. It took some time to figure Starvation out this trip. We were able to fish a little on Friday evening and graphed plenty of fish in the 15-20 foot depth that should have been good targets but we managed a few walleye, a perch or two and some smallish smallmouth.

Saturday was better after we figured out many of the fish on the graph were large schools of young perch. We started using bottom bouncers with worm harnesses. Hammered silver bladed harnesses worked best but you could catch fish on any spinner with silver on the blades. The bite was best at about 1 mph. We found good numbers of 8-11" perch and walleye 12-18" along the river channel in Rabbit Guch (but you have to fish around the pleasure boaters) and along the east shore past the bridge toward the Strawberry River. The most active depth was between 15-20'. The many smaller perch were troublesome but I was glad to see them and their presence answered my question as to why the fish were picky. They are full of perchlets.

Drew
[signature]
Thanks for the detailed reports and observations Drew, good to know the perch are already on the rebound. Any luck with those big starvy bows?
[signature]
Not one rainbow in the boat! There were lots of people fishing for them from around the bridge though.

Drew
[signature]
Hows the water level there, I will be heading there in a week. I usually camp on the big rock out cropping, is that posible now.
Thanks for the report.
[signature]
Great report, Drew.
When I was up there on July 3rd there wasn't a place to camp in Rabbit Gulch because of the holiday. The place has gotten a lot more popular since the nice rainbows started showing up. The water level was 6' higher than it is now (5,700' or 79% full). I caught one rainbow and a carp in two hours. I went over to the Camper World launch site and caught three small walleye (13"-16") along the east side where you mentioned. The water temperature then was 54-57 degrees. It's good to hear about the perch showing up in the catch. I know the walleye that I took home earlier in the year had several perchlets in their stomach. I haven't been back up there since but maybe I need to plan another trip.
[signature]