Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Older Mariner OB Motor Repair
I have a 1985 Mariner 15hp outboard that has been a great motor since I bought it in 1991. It needs some service work now for some seals that are leaking. Anyone know of a good mechanic in the SLC area that does work on these older motors? I live in South Jordan.

Thanks!

TiteLines
[signature]
[left]Send Geezer a PM. He worked on my old merc last week and did a great job.
[/left]
[signature]
I agree send geezer a pm. He knows his stuff.
[signature]
Thanks guys. PM sent.
[signature]
I guess it is all a matter of perspective, but I don't consider 1985 to be an older motor. Until getting my new-to-me boat I was running a 1969 100 horse outboard and it replaced an even older outboard. Approximately 10 years ago I found that many boat shops would only work on 1985 or newer engines. Has this changed?
[signature]
It's a matter of parts availability. Very few parts distributors have parts back that far. You have to find a mechanic that has his/her own stash of parts for your particular motor. Most of the older mechanics that had parts have retired/died. It is hard to find parts for some even newer units, again because distributors have slashed inventories and don't hold onto stock that does not move.
Check out www.seawaymarine.com they have tons of NEW out of stock parts for all years of motors cables etc. great people got my 1972 9 1/2 hp motor running perfect with parts I bought from them
[signature]