Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jackrabbits in Box Elder county
I live in Brigham City and am wanting to get into hunting jackrabbits. Are there some good areas to go out west of Brigham City? I was thinking of going over by the mud lake area.
[signature]
I was up there about 3 years ago and saw quite a bit up by the mantua boy scout camp
[signature]
Jacks aren't difficult to hunt, depending on how early they jump on you. I like to look for draws full of sage brush. Enough sage to provide plenty of cover, but not so tight that you can't get through or see the rabbits going through them. I like a draw that is walled in on the 2 sides with hills and narrows as you go up. It can provide for some fun shooting if you catch one running the hill.
If the rabbits have been hunted a lot, you will need a rifle as they will jump early. A .22 will do. Larger rifles will explode the rabbit. If they haven't, and they hold until you almost step on them, you can have fun with a shotgun.
If you don't find any in that area, drive a mile or two and try again. I haven't hunted them at all this year, so I have no idea what the population is like, but there is no science to jackrabbit hunting. Just walk through the brush and watch.
[signature]
Awesome. That idea of a draw sounds good. I was a combat engineer in the Army. Nothing like funneling them in to a choke point or kill zone. I like that idea.
[signature]