Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Plan B Lincoln Beach 10-10-14
[#0000FF]Planned to hit Huntington (Mammoth) today with HighNDry. But iffy early weather forecrash and moon reports effecting fish there pushed us to stay closer to home until things stabilize. We opted for a return bout at Lincoln Beach.

Launched off the rocks at first spring about 7 am. No visible problems with the algae concentrations seen on other parts of the lake. Air temp 45 and water temp 61 at launch. Warmed to 63 by noon.

Typical (good) weather day at LB. Started out with light SE breezes until after about 9. Then turned calm and finally turned into NW breezes about noonish. No fighting wind and waves today.

Glenn and I both fished tandem jig rigs on one rod while dragging a baby white bass for bait on the other rod. Same ol' same ol'. Lotsa rattle rattle bites from small white bass. No serious chomps on plastic until later.

We alternated exercising catfish on the bait rods and we both ended the session with 4 brought to net. Glenn caught one of his 4 on a plastic twister being fished for walleyes and I caught one on the usual RC Killer rigged with a tiny spinner blade.

We also caught a few small white bass that were barely bigger than the ones we caught a few weeks ago and froze for bait. Oh yeah, I also caught one ambitious bullhead that was able to get enough of the bait inside its mouth for me to give it a piercing.

Several boats tiptoed out of the thin water channel and roared off down to the rock shelves off the orchards. Judging by the numbers of the wading contingent there must be something going on down there...but we decided we didn't need that many new friends and did not go down to join them.

As we were loading up our gear for departure a guy came down with a couple of dogs and they were frolicking in the water. Well, whaddaya expect? I asked him if he was aware of the current algae problems...and that a couple of dogs had died from swimming in the contaminated water and evidently drinking some of it. He did not know and thanked me...and left.

Hey Glenn, another nice day on the water with ya. Hope your smokies turn out well.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
[#484848]Wait a minute ...... Is this the same Pat that says; To heck with the moon, fish gotta eat.[/#484848]
[#484848]Looks like you enjoyed one of those extra calm days on the water. This is a beautiful time of year in Utah.[/#484848]
[#484848][/#484848]
[signature]
[#0000FF]True. Fish gotta eat...moon or no moon. But they eat by their own schedule...not that of anglers.

Had a report from a couple of days ago that mirrored the experience Glenn and I had on Deer Creek. The fish were active right at daybreak on Huntington and then disappeared for the rest of the day. Combine that with the semi forecast for that area catching the edge of the southern tropical storm and we decided to wait a week or two.

Yeah, verily. We did enjoy a fine fall day upon the waters. And mighty were the tugs.

You about ready for some fall flingin' on Pineview or Willard?
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
My turn! My turn! That should have been "moon Affecting fish." Not "effecting."

Now we're even for my "braking" typo.

I'm up for a Willard/Pineview fiasco, if it's before Thursday.
[signature]
This one is close, is it a noun or a verb.
[signature]
Not close at all. Affect is the verb and effect is the noun. Or cause and result, respectively.

The moon affects tides, and sealevel changes are the effect.

But I'm just yanking Pat's chain. It isn't a biggee.
[signature]
"But I'm just yanking Pat's chain. It isn't a biggee. "

[#0000FF]Yes it is. I'm gonna go sulk a lot. See how you affect me and the effect it has?

Your welcome for the tee-up. Turnabouts foreplay...or however that goes.

Weather is looking hinky a good (bad) part of next week. But lemme know when you are good widdit and we'll yak and tube again.

I noticed you were also lusting after either Deer Creek or Jordanelle. The former has been more hospitable than the latter and should be good through November. Would be glad to introduce you to some of its denizens. (No...not venisons.)
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Thanks Pat,

I thoroughly enjoyed the morning as always, and the kitties are officially hitting the smoker later today after a brine bath overnight. Looking forward to some more fall fishing adventures here in the next few weeks.

With this rainy weather today, I'm going to customize my Wobble Jig Mold to pour up some of your Pistol Pat's. I can easily see that pattern becoming one of my favorites, and it's certainly been proving itself out the last few weeks. Caught Trout, Crappie, Catfish, White Bass so far myself on it.

Great start for the new pattern!
[signature]
[#0000FF]Hope the kitties smoke up good. But, like they say about "other things" in life...it's all good. Some better than others. And with the variables in fish thickness, length and strength of brining, ambient temperatures and breezes (if smoking outside), amount of smoking wood used, type used, hours in the smoker, etc. every batch can turn out slightly (or greatly) different.

I too am in the "creativity corner" today. Finishing up some special Gulp jig heads and also some more heads for jigs and hot head flies. I will also be making up a bunch more of the "Pistol Pats" in some other sizes and colors. The fish do seem to approve. Might as well serve 'em what they want.

PS...I made some in white with a red eye for fishing white sparkle plastics at Willard and have caught wipers and cats on them. Hope to add walleyes and crappies shortly.

Also plan to introduce them to the friendly tigers at Huntington in a couple of weeks...if we don't have another Plan B.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Between the algea bloom and the cooler temps I bet the traffic has slowed down at UL. Nice plan B. Cant wait for the annual huntington report.
[signature]
[#0000FF]Amazingly, a lot of people either don't watch TV or know how to read the paper...and don't know about the algae thing. If it doesn't have anything to do with cops shooting civilians...or gay marriage...it doesn't get a lot of attention. So that ain't much of a deterrent to the masses.

The single biggest factor in reduced boat traffic on the lake is the low water. Not enough depth in most of the harbors and boat channels to launch anything bigger than a shallow running cartop. The megabucks rigs tend to stay on the trailers if there is a real danger of dinging their "lower unit". I know that worries me at times.

Verily I say unto y'all that I shall go forth upon the lovely waters of Huntington. Mayhaps a fortnight. Gotta renew old acquaintances. One of the very few waters I fish that have nothing in them but nasty old trout.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Hey Pat sounds like more fun for you and they look like some good sized ones. Thanks for the tale and details. Later J
[signature]
[#0000FF]Biggest were about 24 inches but all were over 20. Healthy and good tugs.

A good time to get some bigguns but I seldom fish for just the biggest.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Thanks Pat, that's nice fish. I went out yesterday and found it quite slow. Got a 26" cat my 3rd best of the year. Few smallies I think I'll do a short post for the detail update. Anyway its starting to get cold, time to bundle up. Catch ya later. J
[signature]