Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hyrum State Park 10/16
Had a great staycation with the family yesterday that begin with a 5 hour fishing trip at Hyrum State Park. We caught about a dozen fish, all rainbows; and we kept three (two 14” and one 15”) for the table (more about that later).

The trip brought a lot of satisfaction, but also a lot of angling questions, too. We began the (around 8:00) with fly and bubble, using a white wooly bugger type, fly at the suggestion of someone here who had success with that on Monday. Over the course of the next two hours, we tried some olive colors, orange colors, a purple one, and some darker greens and browns. In that mix, I was able to catch a 10” bow and my son landed one around the same size (his only for for the day--darn it!), but I was still searching for the pattern that the fish would like.

Around 10:00 I try a black fly with some green threads in it. Bam! In the next 15 minutes, I catch three nice ones. Unfortunately, during this time, my son had run to the van to eat some breakfast. I was hoping he’d come back quickly and the hits would keep coming. He gets about about 15 minutes later, but then they stop hitting on that color. We fish for about 2 more hours, catching a couple more on that black pattern, and with a black and white fly my daughter caught a huge one that slipped from my hands as I was going to measure it (it seemed as large or larger than the 15” I already had on the stringer) and she caught another 10” just before we had to leave. All were hooked within 20 feet of the shore at the beach location. Sadly, we didn’t see a tagged fish.

So, questions abound. Why the three quick fish, then nothing? Should I have changed location? Can a furious feed turn on and then off in a matter of minutes? A group next to us stayed in the same spot for about 3-4 hours and had a nice stringer of about 8-10 fish. I didn’t ask them what patterns they were using, but they were fishing fly and bubble. Perhaps I did the best that can be done, switching flies every 5-10 casts, searching for patterns that they liked. Just wondering what I can do better to hone my skills and strategies.

Another question I have surrounds landing/netting a fish. These bows were fighters--they flew into the air a couple of times as I was reeling them in. It added to the anxiety/excitement that I was always nervous that they wouldn’t stay on the line--and they didn’t always stay on. Having such a larger leader made it difficult to hold the pole in one hand, and net him/her in the other. I resulted to having my kids help with that part. But we lost a number of fish because we weren’t quick enough with the net. It seems like such a small, silly, thing; but I think I need to give more thought about how to land fish, and prepare myself for doing so. Any tips in that area would be appreciated.

Okay, the kitchen. Talk about disappointing. I tried to fillet the trout, and the youtube videos make it look so easy. After trying on my first two fish, and getting little pieces of fillet that comprised of probably 15-20% of the edible flesh, I just wrapped the third fish in foil. I felt Saddened not to have given these fish their proper dues by not being able to fillet them properly. I realized that I need some one-on-one tutoring on how to fillet. Perhaps I can meet someone in the next week or so for a fishing outing, then you can teach me how to fillet. I imagine a lot of it is practice, but I’m sure some tutoring would go a long way.

Aside from the disappointing portion sizes, the cooking went great. Best-ever flavor, actually. Used a rub of red pepper, paprika, lemon pepper, coriander, and garlic powder, then cooked it in butter. Absolutely delicious, and made me want to go catch some more trout right away.

pics:
6905 - Hyrum didn't get skunked!
6906 - 14" bow
6907 - That same bow - face profile
6910 - Jacob and Dad showing off our dinner
6953 - Three most productive flies, all tied by a fellow board member.

PS: I think the tutorial on inline pics needs to be updated. I tried it and it didn't work. What am I missing?
[signature]
I recognize those flies [Wink]

Based on many years of fishing experience, the one thing I can say with certainty is fish feeding behavior is tough to predict. They will turn on and off in a heartbeat, so don't over think it. You did quite well and I'm happy to see those flies getting bit! I would suggest trying changing up speed (faster/slower) and maybe stagger (momentary pause) your retrieve. Also try different depths (fill and sink the bubble a bit). Otherwise, keep experimenting and doing what your doing.

--Jeff
[signature]
[quote akammerman]

A group next to us stayed in the same spot for about 3-4 hours and had a nice stringer of about 8-10 fish. I didn’t ask them what patterns they were using, but they were fishing fly and bubble

[/quote]

Sounds like you did great for just learning. You already received some good advice. I would have wandered over and visited with them and you may have gotten some useful information. Many anglers are happy to share what is working and if they aren't willing to share you have nothing to lose by chatting for a few minutes.
[signature]
Sounds like a good trip all said and done. Trout will school, and ice-fishing has proved it to me time and again. They'll sweep in scarf up, and circle around.

As said - time of day, sunlight, feeding patterns change. Orange has been a good spoon color for me in the fall. But haven't been over this year.

As for filleting, what kind of knife are you using? Practice helps. I'm attaching one of TubeDude's PDFs on filleting trout. An electric knife can help, but a sharp quality fillet knife can make fast work of a few troutses.

I'd be happy to demonstrate sometime if you want. I live over in Nibley. I also have a smoker, and don't mind running some extras through it.

As for inline pics, the key is the "photo" icon below the "italic". But some browsers, phones - etc don't give all the options.
1. Upload a photo, then click inline. THEN place your cursor in your message, select the INSERT IMAGE icon, choose file, and go.
2. Place your cursor, then click the INSERT IMAGE and you can browse to a file, insert and place in one go.
But if you click "inline" but don't actually place it in your message, it's not visible at all.

Good luck, good getting the family out there.
Hey great report, love seeing Dads take kids out. I think you have had some great advice and I think the trout move a lot so timing will prove a big part of when you catch the fish. I know pattern is important, but once you find something that works fairly well I think it turns to are you crossing paths with a hungry fish. Anyway good job.j
[signature]
Very nice! Glad you got into some trout.
[signature]
Yep, Hyrum has just been plain weird this fall...to lots of folks, not just me.
Probably lots of the fingerlings they've planted over the last year have not survived, due to predators or whatever it may be. The fishing has been slow overall.

Had one trip where I fished from shore casting spinners and I nailed 26 within an hour and a half...with another 15 or so coming off and giving me the fin before I could get 'em to the bank.
And then sure as heck, most of my returning trips to Hyrum I haven't been able to catch a cold. Sounds dang fishy to me.

But yes, they school around the pond, tending to bite your bait/lure/fly whenever they happen to come across it. That's great you caught a few over 10" as most are in the 8"-10" range. But whatever floats your boat. The Perch are trying to make a comeback, so that is good to see.

Just in time for Ice Season.
[signature]
There were tons of cormorants, loons, and mergansers there today all eating trout continuously. There's not going to be much survival for sure Sadly enough. Gulls would attempt to snatch and steal every time the mergansers came up with a trout. Not many left for human anglers lol.
[signature]