Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Utah Spawn Calendar
I read a lot of reports about good fishing by timing the fishing excursion with spawning periods. I'd like to put together a calendar/info-graphic that helps identify estimated periods for spawn. I'd make it available to anyone who wants it. (knowing its estimated dependent on weather/temperature patterns and lake)

- Catfish:
- Walleye:
- White bass:
- Large Mouth Bass:
- Small Mouth Bass:
- Trout:
- Muskie:
- Any others I'm missing:

Help me out?
[signature]
For some fish, the worst time to try to catch one (in the mouth, where the fish bites the bait, fly, or lure), is during the spawn. The fish are often interested in reproducing, not eating. Flaming Gorge lake trout are a prime example.

For other fish, in certain fisheries they should be left alone during the spawn because the manner in which they do it makes them too vulnerable to over harvest.

Certain species also spawn at different times based on the body of water. I know of rivers where rainbow trout spawn all year, for just one example.

Maybe you should reconsider and put together a calendar of average ice-out dates, or hatches, or mythical "prime" fishing times for certain species. There are no absolutes in fishing, and for the most part, no patterns. Expect the unexpected. Every year is different. Seasons change on their own schedule, not the calendars. Same for the fish, they march to their own drum, and I've never seen a "table" or "chart" relating to fishing in my life that's accurate except for universal ones, like tides, moon phases, and sunrise/sunset times.
[signature]
You can take Muskie off that list. We don't have Muskie in Utah, we have TIGER Muskie. Tiger Muskies are sterile. They are a hybrid and don't spawn.
[signature]
Here are a couple for your list:

Bear Lake Bonneville Whitefish:
The last week of November through the second week of December.

Bear Lake Cisco
The last two weeks of January. Typically, we think of Martin Luther King Day as the beginning.

Having said that, I encourage you to be mindful of how you "catch" spawning fish. Some you net (like cisco), some you catch in the mouth (mackinaw and white fish), and some, but very few, you snag (again, like cisco). There are some who actually think it is a sport to snag fish over spawning beds and brag about it saying they are "catching" fish. I hope you are not one of them as you study and record fish habits.
[signature]
[#0000ff]As others have suggested, using the spawning cycle as a guide to best fishing times may not be best for some species. Some fish still feed about the same during the spawn period. Others shut down until their procreation duties are over...and then go on a post spawn feeding binge.

Here's my input on the species listed:

Catfish: A warmth loving species that spawns anywhere from around the first of June until mid summer...depending on the water it is in and the time when water temps reach a minimum of about 65 degrees. Both males and females continue to feed and are sometimes easier to catch when they concentrate around structure or shoreline vegetation.

Walleye: They go into a prespawn feed after iceout, when the water gets above 40 degrees. When the water reaches 45 they begin spawning and continue for two to four weeks...longer if the water temp keeps going up and down during spring storms. During the spawn most of the fish you catch will be aggressive males. Some females are caught legally but they are full of eggs and not as hungry for bait or lures. On lower elevation lakes the spawn is usually over by late April. Then the post spawn feed begins...and lasts through about June. After that the water gets warmer than the walleyes like and they feed mainly at night...on most lakes.

White Bass: Usually, if you can find them you can catch them. They school up close inshore and up in tributaries during their spawn and still feed ravenously. A good time to turn the kids loose on them. Again, water temps above 60 to 65 are preferred for spawning. May is generally the magic month.

Largemouth Bass: 65 degree water is the ideal temperature for largemouth spawning. Some anglers target large females on visible nests. They are not so much feeding as protecting their nests by picking up and removing lures dragged into them. Better fishing occurs for a couple of weeks before to a month or so afterward. They don't hit as well during very warm or very cold periods. But they can be finessed and even caught under the ice.

Smallmouth Bass: Take five degrees off the largie numbers and you got it. Spawning temps usually happen from late May to July, depending on the lake depth and altitude. Smallies will hit during the spawn but are much easier during the warm summer months after the spawn.

Trout: Several species...with different spawn cycles. Rainbows may spawn either late fall or early spring...depending on strain. Cutts in late spring. Browns and brookies are fall spawners. Think October. Ditto for macks.

EDIT:

Crappies: Early spawners...anywhere from April to June...depending on waters and temps. Even earlier in Powell. Spawn time is a good time to fish crappies because they school up inshore around structure and will hit almost any bait or jig put in front of them. After spawning they usually move out into deeper water and suspend...harder to find and catch.

Perch: Among earliest of spawners. Even spawning under the ice in lakes with long winters. Usually soon after ice-out...in stickups and vegetation near shore. Fishing not good for them then. Much better after the water warms up to mid sixties and the fish come in shallow to feed for the summer.

Bluegills: Close to largemouth bass in habits. Spawn in mid sixties water temps...over clean bottoms near weeds and structure. Feed then too and the nest-guarding males will aggressively strike anything that comes close to them. Best fishing is through warmer months...in shallows over an around weed beds. Sometimes go very deep during hottest part of summer and again during winter.

Northern Pike: Spawn in early spring, in shallows with weeds or structure if possible. Good time for smaller aggressive males. Fishing for big females best after spawn and during summer. They are ambush predators so look for them around structure, points, dropoffs, etc. They go deeper when water cools in late fall but continue to feed if you can find them. Good ice fishing target.

[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Bluegills and Black Crappie should be on your list.

Spawns for lots of species can be VERY successful for the angler who times it out right. Some species are better to pursue pre-spawn and post-pawn though.
[signature]