Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wade fishing below American Falls?
Does anyone wade the Snake below the Res. for trout? I want to make a trip up sometime but have no idea when or where to go? Any info. is great, thanks!
[signature]
The river bottom is lava rock . There are quick drop offs , so be very careful .
[signature]
Now, that I have heard, thanks!
[signature]
When visiting family down there in the winter, I like to wade and throw a fly down by Eagle Rock.
When the flows are right you can wade across and fish both sides of the river. As always you need to be VERY careful on the Snake.
That was before the rules changed and I think you can swing a fly anywhere on the river now. Now I would fly fish below "Angle Falls"
[signature]
Just be careful is all IMA say, there are sudden drops all over big shelves that go on for long ways ankle deep then will just stop and drop to a 5' or deeper hole..
[signature]
Dont let me discourage you, but that place is pretty nasty. there are sometimes nice fish, but it smells so bad because of all the garbage and dead carp that come through the dam, and its basically a canal that far down. the windmills are there for a reason, it is usually blowing 30 mph. the south fork or henrys fork up stream are much better options in my opinion.
[signature]
Great, thanks for the info!
[signature]
What Kglass said.. Henrys fork or south fork would be your best bet..
[signature]
Agree on the safety issues but probably the best fly fishing anywhere. barbless hooks. Nymphs and Chronomids in the riffles and under 5 foot seam water. Access at pipeline road, duck falls, fish hatchery on the north side. About one in 15 this year will be in the 5 pound range. Some days I have hooked four or five with 50 hookups.
[signature]
Check out High desert outfitters at 8wtfishing.com! Call Mike Hoey at208-604-4824 he is the guide and can teach you the river better than anyone!!!
[signature]
Thanks Blacktop….when do you think is a good time to go? This winter or spring before the flows go up?
[signature]
I don't fish for trout on purpose, but if I did it would be from American falls dam to massacre. I have friends that do and they have some really great pics, but they're pretty tight lipped about it. Sonsabeeches.
[signature]
Houy is a good guy. Best fishing will be anytime before freeze up. Fish are getting hit hard right now but the three mile area seems to handle the pressure. A lot of areas to explore. Fish are pretty hot with current water temperature which won,t last long. Most fisherman will help you out you run into. Forget about the late spring without a boat.
[signature]
Just don't forget its all artificial barbless catch and release right now from the dam down.. And yes allot of people are tight lipped, it gets hit hard on the weekends Lots of rocks to trip you up if your not careful in a few places, I don't know about one in every 15 fish being a 5 pounder that's pretty far off in my own experience, maybe one in every fifteen a 2 or 3 pounder unless you count the occasional snagged carp... There are some nice fish don't get me wrong but if you put a tape and scale on them you will find a majority of people have very big fish tales, just saying...
[signature]
i fish it alot and there are some pigs down there but may i recommend wearing a life vest those instant inflatable ones alow you to cast and i know i am glad the one time i went in that i had it on. That river eats people so please be careful
[signature]
its awesome fishing below the dam down to massacre if you are willing to go fish it and learn the area. Not a high numbers area by any means. Most people are very tight lipped about specifics, so try it out. I know you wont be disappointed. The biggest learning curve for me, was learning the impact of flows on the fishing.
[signature]