Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
carp bait
whats the best bait you have used to catch carp???
[signature]
Been a lot of years since I made it so I don't recall exact ingredients and amounts but it is basically a bread dough with lots of vanilla extract and garlic salt added.
[signature]
thanks
[signature]
[#0000FF]Utah carp are not snobs. They don't need exotic recipes for gourmet dough balls. Heck, a lot of guys catch more carp than they really want to on the worms they are using for other species. I catch a lot of them on jigs and others do well with flies.

As a generality, carp are more vegetarian than meat eaters. But they will eat just about anything from water weeds to minnows. However, you will often do better offering them something on the vegan side.

Plain old homemade doughballs will work. Mix flour and water to create a firm dough...and pinch off pieces to roll in a ball and put on the hook. After that you can add different things to the dough...like cheese, vanilla, garlic, anise (licorice), strawberry flavoring, etc.

You can also make dough out of prepared mixes...like Bisquick, pancake and waffle mix, etc. These mixes usually have other things to make them rise or produce bubbles...and some of that is attractive to carp. Just don't let them push you into serving up the pancakes with butter and syrup.

One bait I learned as a youngster was to chew up some saltine crackers into a firm dough. Other folks blend different dry cereals into a powder and moisten it with anything from milk to Kool-aid.

Corn is a proven bait in most states. Not Utah. Can't even be caught with it on non-trout waters. Very progressive for the 18th century.

A sometimes suitable substitute is frozen green peas. Thaw them and put a couple on a size 6 bait hook...on the bottom or under a bobber. Carp eat a lot of "green stuff" naturally so peas are usually accepted. I hate peas...but that is another issue.

Also, if you go online and put "carp baits" in your search engine you will find enough recipes to keep you busy until all the carp are gone from Utah Lake.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
On the less exotic side and depending on where you are fishing, popcorn can be a good bait. I've even seen guys tie flies to imitate a piece of popcorn around waters that are prone to people feeding the "wildlife"[Smile].
[signature]
I think I turned a few on to that[Smile]
I just use flies.
[signature]
the best use for peas that I have ever heard of. [Wink]
[signature]
Home pride bread
thanks pat reason why I ask is im workin on something,,,
[signature]
[#0000FF]Good luck. Hope it works...whatever it is. Don't keep us in suspenders. Report please.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Although new on here, not new to carp fishing. Wet a line after work today behind the office in the Jordan river. First one was a tubby 14# scrappy common. Half an hour later the Abu Black Max clicker is buzzing again with line ripping out. Reeled in a bright golden orange finned 10 #er.

Both caught on homemade boiled dough bait. Mixed juice and flour with a little vanilla flavoring, then rolled into ropes and boiled for a minute or two. Then cut the ropes into little nuggets and dropped them into a baggie with flour and powdered sugar. If the fish ain't bitin' you can snack on the bait!

The 14#er.

[Image: 2qn5svn.jpg]

The 10#er.

[Image: 5kr9yh.jpg]
[signature]
[quote TubeDude][#0000ff]Good luck. Hope it works.. . . . . . suspenders . . .
[/#0000ff][/quote]

tee hee
The bastards have taken my shrimp dammit! Worms are a given, but my shrimp! Back off slimy buddy. Goodness.

I've even had 'em take carp strips. Now that's just a little wrong ain't it? Minnows is minnows....

Still need to play more with the flies, I swear some of the slurp ponds, think as long as it lands in front of what they're sucking ... slurp fest.
Sounds like you had a good time. Welcome to BFT![cool]
[signature]
I have manage one just about every day this week. No help on bait, just use flies. No rebaiting.
Smaller one yesterday
[Image: IMG_2193_zps4fd17530.jpg]
[signature]
[quote albinotrout]Sounds like you had a good time. Welcome to BFT![cool][/quote]

Thanks for the welcome and yeah....it was good times. Nothing like an Abu G clicker screaming on a nice carp run.

When the fish's tail is this big, there's little room for doubt about the horsepower under the hood.[Wink]

[Image: 9tfnyu.jpg]

....and yes my hand is normal sized...about 8.5 inches from the right edge of my wristwatch to middle fingertip.
[signature]
[#0000FF]Wow. A carp with red hair.

Must be somethin' in the water.

You do rock them carp, girl.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
[quote CoyoteSpinner]
I've even had 'em take carp strips. Now that's just a little wrong ain't it? Minnows is minnows....

Still need to play more with the flies, I swear some of the slurp ponds, think as long as it lands in front of what they're sucking ... slurp fest.[/quote]

Have you ever seen south park's bakin bacon with macon?
[Image: Bakin_Bacon_w_Macon_1.png]
[Image: southpark_season2_007.jpg]

As for flies I like to use a crystal white woolybugger...slowly stripped for the carp's pleasure.[Smile]
[signature]
Love your avatar!!
[signature]
I know, right....LOL
Went out for a half hour this evening. 10 Minutes of that bringing this 30" (yes I had a tape for a change[laugh]) Fun stuff
[Image: three_zpsc1fed41f.jpg]
He is bowl shaped here between rocks
[Image: One_zpsdf19e89e.jpg]
[Image: four_zpsd4a8bdce.jpg]
[signature]