Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unexpected catches at Rockport 10/25
After much deliberating, I decided to hit Rockport for what would most likely be my last hurrah for fishing this season. I was anxious that my son and I have a productive day and looking forward to a lot of tugs and more than a few catches. We made good time, taking only 45 minutes to get from 54th and Redwood to Rockport Dam; and we began fishing before sunrise, around 7:50. Based upon reports at BFT, and some chatter in the parking lot with some other anglers, I was expecting at least a couple of fish.

After two hours of nary a nibble (not even so much as a whiff), I was feeling a bit frustrated. I had tried just about everything I could think of, based upon what I have read and what I had in my tackle bag. Countless numbers of flies, spinners, some jigs, worms, and cast some plastics a bit for some bass. The thing I realized that I need to learn is how to fish off the bottom. All my presentations for trout were within the top 5 feet of the water; and I’m guessing all the fish were at the bottom. It was really windy. I didn’t see a single fish caught from the bank or from the boats fishing near the dam. Didn’t see a single fish the entire time I was there.

Through all this, my 12 year-old son wasn’t discouraged. He patiently tried different things, and suggested strategies for this outing and future outings. After about 3 hours of nothing, we ended up walking along the dam searching for tackle. It felt like a treasure hunt, and I allowed myself a change in my attitude. We really had a blast. The one that got away was a 5” rapala that was wedged in between two huge boulders. It was within our reach, but we couldn’t pry the boulders away and we finally had to concede the fight.

I don’t know why, but I chose to pick up an interesting contraption that looked like it may have been part of a boat at one time. Anyone know what that is?

On our way home, I decided to hit the North side of Jordanelle. I had never been there and wanted to see what access points existed. There is a spot called Ross Creek, where you can park (for free) at about a 10-minute walk from shore. We fished for a bit (I guess the skunk at Rockport wasn’t enough for us) but felt nothing. We did find some more tackle.

No fish, but I had a really fun time with my son: time well-spent.

PS. Last night, my 6 year old unwrapped his very own fishing pole during his birthday party. He was happy and we all can’t wait for a trip where he can try it out.

Pics:

6997 - Hyrum at Rockport
6999 - Hyrum at Rockport
7001 - Hyrum at Jordanelle
7003 - One man's loss is another man's treasure!
7004 - What's this?
[signature]
Always good to get out with your children. That looks like a rod holder from a boat.
[signature]
As an easy and productive entry into fishing the bottom, look up "dropshot rig" on youtube or google. A weight at the end of the line with a hook tied in a short way above that. (There's a specific way to tie in that hook.)

Tip the hook with actual bait, plastic - just about anything. Gulp minnows are excellent. Drop it straight down until the weight hits, and then jiggle the rod tip an inch or two up and down.

Edit to add: in the photo of the floats and stuff, the spherical weight with the pinched wire doohickey is a dropshot weight. The wire lets you wedge the line end without a knot, so you can easily adjust the distance to the hook. Clever, eh?

Your whatzit looks like a rod holder of the "rocket launcher" style.
[signature]
I tie a dropshot with a palomar knot for plastics, but I thought those were just for bass. Didn't think of using a smaller hook to target different species. And casting that dropshot in a bunch of rocks (like at Rockport) with a huge Gamakatsu hook (like I had rigged) just invites snag after snag. I'll have to try the dropshot with different hooks and presentations.

Thought it might be a rod holder, but thought the depth of the holder would get in the way of the reel. Now I'm understanding why I see some rods where the reel is attached pretty far up the rods!

So much to learn and practice. Not enough time and fishing trips!
[signature]
Yup, try a smaller hook and then fish it just like vertical jigging. Use a pencil-shaped sinker and it's almost snagproof.
[signature]
As long as you had fun with your son it doesn't matter
[signature]