Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Winterizing the boat
Sad as it is, I decided to put the boat up for the winter and look forward to an early trip to Powell next March. I do my own winterizing: 1) Drain the lower unit well 2) remove the batteries 3) drain water from the fresh water pump 4) put in gas stabilizer and 5) put oil in the cylinders. Would appreciate your comments on whether or not it is really necessary to put 2 cycle oil directly into the cylinders for the 4 months of storage. Engine is a 2006 175 HP Merc Optimax DFI. I have always done this, but question if its really necessary. Thanks for your input.
[signature]
Your good. I fog with WD.
[signature]
Not needed for 4 months of storage in this dry climate but definitely does not hurt.
If fogging gets you any extra peace of mind then it is invaluable!
[signature]
I have never done anything to the cylinders of my engines for the past ten years. I usually winterize around Nov 1st and have it back on the water by the end of March/first of April. Never had a problem starting in the spring. However, I do store the boat in a garage through the winter & it is not exposed out in the weather.
[signature]
drain the gas,,fog it and change out the lower unit oil it will bee good to go,,,, if its outside leave the butt plug out and put some rv antifrezze down the bilge pipe it wont frezzzzzee on ya
[signature]
I like the idea of anti-freeze down the bilge pipe. Haven't done that before. As for fogging, I understand fogging is NOT recommended for DFI engines, hence the oil directly in the cylinders. Wish there was an easier way than removing the plugs. They are difficult to remove and harder to reinstall.

Thanks for you input.
[signature]