Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pheasants
Got back last weekend from my annual North Dakota pheasant trip. This year my buddy and I decided to try and hunt South Dakota as well since we were staying pretty close to the border. This ended up working out pretty well as we were able to kill limits of birds in both states each of the 3 days we hunted. Made for a pretty epic trip I will not soon forget. Well at least not until the Alzheimer's kicks in. Even when I was a kid in Idaho and we had pretty good pheasant hunting it was nothing like what you can experience in the Dakotas.

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3][/size][/font]
[#000000]Toshi (my German Shorthair) isgetting old at 11 ½ but he is still getting it done! Had a rooster just lightlywinged in heavy grass cover. He worked that sucker for about 40 minutes andfinally caught him almost 300 yards from where he went down. Just a littleslower covering ground now. Here’s a few shots from the trip.[/#000000]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3][/size][/font]
[signature]
Sunrise on the water
Sounds and looks like you had a great hunt Todd, thanks for posting. I miss my old German Shorthair, best bird dog I ever had, absolutely fantastic on all upland birds especially chuckers. We had to put him down when he was about your dog's age due to cancer. Headed for Northern Sask. Canada tomorrow for my whitetail hunt. [Smile]
[signature]
Best of luck on a big buck my friend. I'll be looking forward to your report when you get back. Getting ready for my doe antelope hunt in a few weeks. Been working on my long range rifle and getting pretty excited to achieve a new goal.
[signature]
Sunrise on the water
Great report, thanks for posting!
[signature]
Can't wait for your report! Take a picture of a goose for me!
[signature]
Nicely done and very envious for sure. I have always wanted to go on a Dakota pheasant hunt. it's on the bucket list for sure.
[signature]
Didn't get the big buck I was hoping for, I guess I got a little nervous at the end of the 4th day when I had this 9 point come by and decided to take him. I had to deal with a pack of wolves patrolling the area I was hunting and I hadn't seen a buck for the first 3 1/2 days. The wife and I are planning on going back this spring for a bear hunt at the same outfitters. I'm enclosing pictures of the other 3 hunters in camp and their bucks. The largest scored 165.
[signature]
Nicely done. Thanks for sharing.
[signature]
Beautiful buck my friend. I absolutely love those dark horns they have up there. That'll be some great eating, he sure does have a big body!

Heading down tomorrow for the antelope harvest. I'm calling it my final exam for my long range shooting I've been working on for the past couple years. Gotten pretty good at smoking clay pigeons out to 500 and hitting an 8 inch target out to 810 yards. Going to be looking for an opportunity in the 600 to 800 yard range. Hoping to get it on video with the new phone skope adaptor I just got. I'll let you know what happens when I get back.
[signature]
Sunrise on the water
Nice buck, buddy. Just lurked the Idaho board and see you are still following the ol' CJ posts. me too!. think we will do a spring Brownlee trip this year, at Woodhead.
[signature]
Beautiful bucks from north of the border! Congrats on a pretty whitetail.
[signature]
I do follow the Idaho board as well as the Utah board, I have met and chatted with several members from that site. I wish we could get into some big perch like we caught thru the ice up there at C.J. a couple years ago. We had a great time with the outfitter up there and the wife and I are planning to return this spring for a bear hunt. You all have a Happy Thanksgiving.
[signature]
This was some of the reason the hunting wasn't quite as good in some areas of his ranch and leased ground. They figured there were two packs of wolves hunting his propertys. Five in one pack and 4 in the other, they would be around for a couple days and then move on and would return in a week or two. They love them as much up there as we do in the States.
[signature]
Looks like the damn things are bedded down on the hay they out out for the deer!!!

Here's a pic of the speed goat I got. Didn't end up getting the long range shot I was hoping for as the weather was nasty. Was dealing with 25mph winds so when a bunch ran up and stopped at 160 yards I took this one. Going to be some great meat as we got it cooled out and on ice very quickly.

Hope you had a great Thanksgiving my friend, I'm looking forward to my elk hunts in December now. Need to get the freezer filled.
[signature]
Sunrise on the water
That's exactly what they were on, they know where the various bait stations are and cruise those areas. The outfitter I was hunting with had around 50 bait stations on his properties. The wife has a late season cow tag for the Wasatch her hunt is the last two weeks in Jan. I didn't see any picture on your post.
[signature]
Here's the pic again.
[signature]
Sunrise on the water
Nice looking rifle and scope Night Force 5.5X22?
[signature]
Yeah Cliff, it's one of the new SHV's. The rifle is almost 50 years old, my dad bought it the year before I was born. I got it when I was 14 and started upgrading it a few years ago.

I've done a few things to it: HS Precision stock, trigger work, muzzle brake, scope etc.

My cow hunt ended up with a shot at 443 yards so I still haven't taken anything at long range with it yet. Sure is nice to have the confidence that I can though. Didn't realize how addicting long range shooting is until I started trying to work my way up in it.
[signature]
Sunrise on the water
It is or may be more addicting then fishing (at times)..

I have been shooting long range sense back in the 60,s
and have my own long rang gong's set up out to 2,000 yards..

I have five rifles set up with Night force scopes like yours if you want to go shooting some time let me know..
[signature]
I've got a lot to learn about it. I'm trying to get somewhat proficient without spending 7K on a rifle. I'd like to take you up on shooting with you sometime, I'm sure I could learn a lot.
[signature]
Sunrise on the water