Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Southern fishing evalutaion!!!
A quick run down of all southern lakes. Feel free to include any other info or lakes not mentioned.

[red]Kolob[/red] good early in the morning and slows way down after 9 so get there early. Fishing is spotty but they fight good when you catch them. Remember 1 over 22" and no scented jigs or bait allowed. Clear water.

[red]Minersville[/red][black] had a fish kill this summer so don't expect anything over the slot limit. Most fish average around 12" and fishing is good if you move around and find the right spot. Remember 1 over 22" and no scented jigs or bait allowed. Always check the ice before you walk on it. Semi-clear/dirty water.[/black]

[red]Panguitch[/red][black] has been spotty for most fisherman. Most fish seem to be out deeper so move around until you find the right spot. Most jigs and baits will work and the average size fish has gone up to 14". Cuts are hard to find right now but all have been with in the slot limit of one over 22". If you do catch a cut a quick release is recomended to insure the survival of these much need chub eaters. Clear water.[/black]

[red]Otter Creek[/red] is a big dissapointment this year and the fish seem to be smaller then last year. Best bait is eggs on any ice fly. Jigs tipped with mealworms, waxies and worms will get you bites but only the small planters are taking this bait. Semi-clear/dirty water.

[red]Red Creek[/red] has some good fishing earlier in the year but with recent snow getting to lake will be restricted to snow mobiles. Fish are skinny this year and the bite is really light so a indicator of some sorts is a must. All types of bait works great but isn't needed when the fish started biting good. Water clarity is about the same as mud so use bright color lures and jigs.

[red]Beaver mtn[/red]. Access is restricted to snowmobiles but you can walk to Little Res. for some planters and if your really luck a big brown. You could fish this lake for years and never catch one but it helps to know they are there.

[red]Boulder mtn.[/red] is closed to all but a few select lakes so check the proclamation before you head out. Good sized fish has been reported but over all a slow day at most lakes. Don't plan on catching tons of brookies but with a little luck you could catch a 4+ pound brookie.

[red]Navajo[/red] has produced some good fishing for decent brookies and bows. Access is limited from the gates of the freeway so snowmobiles or ATV's is a must. Semi clear water

[red]Aspen Mirror and Duck Creek[/red] both are closed for the winter so no fishing here.
[signature]
[red]Yankee Meadows[/red] fishing was good early in the year but slowed way down. No certain jigs or ice flies seem to work any better. Access is tough with new snow conditions and the steep road.

I knew I forgot one or two lakes. I didn't mention any other lakes that don't freeze over.
[signature]
great report! hey the new state park at sand hollow reservoir is open for fishing now as of the first, anybody been there yet?

well it seems the dwr hasnt stocked the hurricane pond on the other side of quail creek with any trout this year - went there the other day, and a local told me only bass and sunnies and damn few of them . . .they have built a parking lot and have big aluminum fishing docks ready to go in . . .

i went by quail creek and the water is as high as ive seen it in two years . . i think ill try it soon . . . looks like everybody is parking at the first lookout and climbing down the hill avoiding the $6 charge, sounds good to me . ..with the water up its not too much of a hike . .

sm
[signature]
Thanks southernman I knew you'ld like this report. That doesn't surprise me with the Hurricane pond, formerly known as Stratton pond, was slow. All the locals fish it out with in a week or so of it being stocked. I'd try on of the other urban fishing holes around St. George or if you looking for something bigger try Quail Creek. I know it doesn't sound like the best trout pond but it has produced some huge bows. It gets stocked with all the let over fish but I don't know exactly how many they get since Mammoth hatchery is still closed. It seems like ever since that hatchery closed fishing has been pretty slow down south.

So when you coming up to do some ice fishing? Well, we could always try for some winter bass or crappie in Quail or Gunlock.

As far as Sand Hollow is concerned, I wouldn't expect to hear anything about it until spawning time. I was down there a couple weeks ago and the water levels seem to be going up and down to much. It was lower than when during the summer time. The sand was great so if anybody was thinking about going riding and maybe doing some fishng now's the time.
[signature]