Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Suggestion for Electric Flaying Knife
I am looking for suggestions for a battery operated flaying knife. I have an electric Rapala knife currently, but it seems the cord is always in the way.
[signature]
I personally like my electric knife, but if you find the cord in the way, here is a link to a nice knife with a Lithium Ion battery. Its the only way to go with a cordless knife.
[url "http://www.amazon.com/Rapala-Lithium-Cordless-Fillet-Knife/dp/B005ZU1AJ0"]http://www.amazon.com/Rapala-Lithium-Cordless-Fillet-Knife/dp/B005ZU1AJ0[/url]
[signature]
ditch the electric knife and get a bubba blade. I can filet faster than anyone I have raced against with my bubba blade. look it up I know some people like the electric knife and such. this is just one mans opinion....
[signature]
I agree with crappielover... I thought an electric knife would be better - since I got little wimpy hands with no strength, but I end up making a bigger mess of things. I went back to just a regular knife.
[signature]
My money is on Tubedude with the electric.
[signature]
[#0000FF]I fell for the hype on the Bubba Blade too. I bought one and tried it on several species. Haven't found any species for which the BB works better than my American Angler electrics...120V and 12 volt.

I was disappointed in the "factory edge". According to the commercials the knives are super sharp right out of the box. Maybe by their standards...not mine. I have worked in commercial fishing and on party boats. I keep my knives SHARP. I had to work on the BB for over an hour to get an edge I was semi happy with. Even then it did not outperform my electrics. And forget it when it came to filleting catfish. The BB took a lot of work to hack through the rib bones of even cookie cutter sized cats...whereas my electrics just slide right through.

Knives are always a very subjective matter...like lures, rods, reels, lines, etc. If you find something you like and it works well for you...then that is the right model for you. Doesn't matter what others think about it.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
My set of American Angler electric filleting knives (110v and 12v corded) are still going strong after 10 years of filleting perch, catfish, white bass, bluegill and crappie. Got them for $10/each at KMart on sale. I found that for 95% of my filleting needs, I use the shorter set of blades (6" or shorter). It's a lot easier for me to work the blade and get the right angles, especially on panfish. I would surmise that using the longer blades on panfish is the biggest cause of frustration for first-time electric fillet knife users.

I received the cordless Rapala filleting knives last Christmas and frustrated me the first time I used it because of the lame safety that they put on the power switch. I ended up going back to the corded ones for my subsequent filleting sessions. I gave the Rapala one more chance, but this time, I took it apart and took out the safety tab and it dropped the frustration factor almost to nil. I have the Deluxe set and comes with 2 batteries (not lithium, though) and two sets of knives (9" and 6"), I believe. BTW, I was able to process a bucket of white bass (41 fish total) in about an hour with the cordless set with one battery pack. My personal best is 1 hr 35 mins for 85 perch with my corded set.

Good luck in your search!
George, sounds like I need to drop off my fish to you to get fileted from now on.
[signature]
No problem. I'll trade you for a trip on your new boat[Wink]
[quote kastmaster]

No problem. I'll trade you for a trip on your new boat[Wink]

[/quote]

Wow, you make it tempting. A lifetime of fileting in exchange for one trip on my boat.[Wink] George, you're welcome anytime on my boat.
[signature]
Yea, I'll give you a suggestion ...

What ever knife you end up getting, make sure it is labeled well with your name and phone number.

[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=887720"]http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=887720[/url]
[signature]
(as an aside, "flaying knife" is ironically hilarious...)

I tossed an old filleting knife with a big nick in the blade just recently. Still have my Rapala that's been with me for many decades. But I need a second knife. I think I'll order a Dexter Russell and a sheath.

With my success at catching fish, my filleting knives need sharpening about once a year, LOL!
[signature]
[quote RockyRaab]

With my success at catching fish, my filleting knives need sharpening about once a year, LOL![/quote]

Never a dull moment[:p]

I too have a rapala fillet knife and love it.
[signature]