Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sealing live wells
My boat came with two live wells, which is two more than I will likely ever need. I have noticed that when I run the boat that they get a little water in them. If I put a plug in the small hole in the bow of the boat will that seal them off? What about the drain hole, do I also need to seal it? I read on a thread on here to pour RV antifreeze down the live well lines to prevent them from freezing. Should I also do that?

Thank you,
[signature]
Most are designed to completely drain out when the valves are open and boat is out of the water. If your not going to use them plug up the up the openings on the outside of the hull. My bass boat has 2 in and 2 out and 4 pumps. Rv antifreeze gives you piece of mind.

Jim sold the place in Bruneau and is moving back to Adrian Oregon
[signature]
If you are using the live wells for storage I just put the plugs in the live wells drain hole to keep them dry. My live wells have a valve so I can shut the pumped water off at the live well so if I am using one and want to keep the other one dry I can shut the valve off at the well I want dry or shut both valves so no water can pump into either if the switch gets hit on accident. Unless your drain lines are leaking into the bilge I do not think I would seal them from the outside.
[signature]
Assuming I can shut them off at the live wells will the water that gets into the lines when I operate the boat drain back out when I trailer the boat (not sure of the need for the antifreeze)?
[signature]
[quote dtayboyz]

Jim sold the place in Bruneau and is moving back to Adrian Oregon

[/quote]

Happy for Jim, I know he was trying to sell for quite awhile. Do you know if the new owner is going to continue operating the motel (maybe with a little fix up)?
[signature]
I found out that putting the drain plug in my forward livewell did not stop the water from coming in. On my boat, there are two over flow holes, one on each side of my boat. I found out that no matter if the drain plug was in or out water would always get in the livewell. I store my life jackets in my forward livewell, so every time I get back from a fishing trip when using my boat, I have to remove my life jackets and leave the live well open for it to dry out between trips. These over flow holes are almost twice as large as my drain hole, so a regular drain plug will not work. I guess this is a good place to ask anyone, if they use a plug in their overflow holes to keep the water out? If so, where did you buy them?
[signature]
My death-wells drain when you pull the plug out. I have an overflow hole, but no water has ever come in through that hole, even when I had the boat in rough water. I just put the plug in the drain hole and use my "death" well for storage or putting fish in that I keep (whitefish, bluegill, walleye and the occasional cutthroat). I don't add any RV antifreeze, since the death-wells are self draining to the outside of the boat. As for the filler tube that comes from the pump up to the death-well, that just drains in reverse through the pump and out through the bilge. When I pull my boat out of the water, I ALWAYS pull the drain plug to drain any residual water that may have accumulated from the draining of the pump lines or splashing of water into the back of the boat. Don't overthink things. Just drain them by pulling the plugs. Keep the plug in after draining so no water can come in from the drain hole in the bottom of the boat.
[signature]