Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tinkering
Geezer came to my house and brought me some stuff to putter around with. He had to leave early, so I really only got a lesson on the basics, and got started on a snowblower. Gotta drain the fuel and take out the carburetor to clean it up.

I figured I'd have to study a few months before actually getting into it. But I guess jumping right in will work too!

YAY!

Oh, and Elly is going to supervise Wink
[Image: 10392327_10201967844796173_8821850557839...8409ad4f8e]

And my dad came downstairs to give me my car insurance paper, and saw the snowblower torn apart. "Do you know what you're doing?" I laughed and said "Um...sortta?"
[signature]
Good luck at getting things going. Looks like you have a great project to start with.
[signature]
"A good mechanic never swears at their work". - Robert Jessen

Because apparently "Gosh, dangit!" is swearing. Then again, I am a girl AND Mormon... LOL
But if the gas tank bolts had cooperated, I wouldn't have said anything like that! Wink
[signature]
WD40 is a great tool to have in the shop. Works great on bolts that don't want to move. Spray a little and let it sit for a bit and let the oil work into the bolt threads and then try again.
[signature]
Ohhh, good advice! We were using carb cleaner today, to get grime off things that were making them stick.

Mostly, though, it was just my inexperience... I wasn't holding the ratchet right, and it kept slipping off (same with the allen wrenches). But the more I do it, the better I'll get... I hope! LOL
[signature]
That looks familiar. [Wink]
[signature]
Had to order a new driver pinion. The one that was on there went flying off when I was starting it the other day. Whoops! Oh well, at least now I know how a starter assembly works! LOL

And something I didn't really think of, is gender discrimination. I figured I'd be doubted of ability because I'm a girl, but it just got emphasized today.
Went to the parts store to get a new pinion. I put the old one on the counter, also had a notebook paper with the info (make, model, part number)...even had the page of the manual that showed part images and numbers on my phone. I filled out the paperwork to order the parts. I handed over the cash and took the order ticket. But who did the guy look at when stating price quote and delivery/pick-up times? Not the little girl doing the whole transaction, but the older gentlemen who was with her, standing behind her.
*sigh*
The only reason I didn't go by myself, is I don't trust my dinky sedan in a snow storm, so Robert drove me in his 4x4 (we stopped off at Harbor Freight and McDonalds too)
[signature]
LOL!!! Nevertheless, WAY TO GO GIRL!
[signature]
Well good, glad you have something to tinker with and get some learnin on.

Don't worry about the gender thing, the interweb ordering system doesn't ask.[Wink]

Keep close track of what is owed for repairs and favors called in so that you can get back all you put into your learnin.
[signature]
I really wanted to take apart the chainsaw today, while I wait for snowblower parts. But I got sick, and stuck in bed. Oh well, I'll just dream about the work table I want to get in January Wink
[signature]