Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advice on a new vise?
I need to start tying a little more seriously, I have a cheap-o vise that has worked ok but need an upgrade, what vises do you folks have and recommend, I would like a pedestal that won't break the bank, but a clamp on would be ok. Thanks for the input!
[signature]
Have used a danvise for years and it has never let me down. Plus leaves some cash for hooks. Have to buy a pedestal separate but those are only a few dollars.
[signature]
I have been looking at the Peak Vise. It seems to get good reviews and has different options. I think I am going to end up asking Santa (the Wife) for one for Xmass.

Mark
[signature]
Looking at Peak, Anvil Atlas and Mayfly 2 vises, seem fine for what I would do with it [Smile]
[signature]
Thanks, I will look at Danvise
[signature]
Renzetti for 30 years. I had a peak, and an HMH. I also have a Vosseler. Griffin makes killer vises as will. My dream vise is a Nor. Love rotary.
[signature]
I tie lots of big streamers and nymphs. My vote is the Dyna-King Trekker. I absolutely like this vise. Well built. I tie down to size 20. Big streamer hooks will not slip.
[signature]
I recommend the Norvise, that's what I use. It has many useful accessories available as well. It has a very tight hold your hook will break before the vise will give. The finish on the jaws is very smooth and the jaws are made from quality metal (won't get metal burrs from hooks) so you won't be cutting thread on the jaws which is an annoyance with some low end vises.
Thanks for all the input!!
[signature]
I bought a Peak vise a few years ago and I've tied everything from a size 20 to 1/0. It was only $150 I think and its solid as can be. I think it also comes with some tools and a DVD video with some basic instructions. I don't see myself changing for years to come.
[signature]
I'm real happy with my Renzetti. The jaws clamp like a pit-bull and the rotary is very convenient.
[signature]
I know, right. I can tie #32 or #2. I have the cam and the thumb screw jaws. Tons of accessories available.
[signature]
Griffin Montana Mongoose has my vote
[signature]
+1 on the Griffin Montana Mongoose I own one and have put through hell and back with my clumsy hands, I take with with me camping and never have I had to replace any parts.
[signature]
A Norvise is expensive, but a good vise will last a lifetime, so if your interested, send me a PM and you can come by and try one out. It takes a little getting used to but it is really fast at laying down thread, and dubbing is a breeze -- you spin the thread and then just touch the dubbing to it and away it goes. I also like the control when winding hackle, lead, chenille, ribbing, etc.

Norm sells a bamboo board for $49 to mount the vice, but I just bought one from WM for $9 and it works great.
[signature]
[quote kandersonSLC]A Norvise is expensive, but a good vise will last a lifetime, so if your interested, send me a PM and you can come by and try one out. It takes a little getting used to but it is really fast at laying down thread, and dubbing is a breeze -- you spin the thread and then just touch the dubbing to it and away it goes. I also like the control when winding hackle, lead, chenille, ribbing, etc.

Norm sells a bamboo board for $49 to mount the vice, but I just bought one from WM for $9 and it works great.[/quote]

You are so spoiled...LOL JEALOUS! Someday.
[signature]
Even if I had one of these $2,500 vises, you could still tie circles around me with a vise-grip.

[inline "Dama Vise.JPG"]
[signature]
Thanks. Oooo that is pretty.
[signature]
Duuuuuuuuuuuudddddeeeee!!!!!!!!! That is sick! How much does that puppy cost?
[signature]
Check out link below. And for just another $500 you can add an optional handmade display box made from select rare wood like bird's eye maple, with chamois inlay.

[url "http://www.automaticbobbin.com/dama.htm"]http://www.automaticbobbin.com/dama.htm[/url]
[signature]