Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Must Have Flies...
So for Christmas I am tying some flies for my oldest brother and giving it to him in a customized fly box and I was just wondering what are some must haves.

These are what I have in mind so far:

Prince Nymph
Pheasant Tail Nymph
Hares Ear Nymph
Zebra Midge
San Juan Worm
Elk Hair Caddis
Adams
Stimulator
Wooly Bugger
Bunny Leech
Double Bunny
Hoppers
Beetles
Ants

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
[signature]
I might add to that list copper johns, sowbugs, PMD's, BWO's, and scuds. Those are some go-to's for me. But it depends on where he is planning on fishing.
[signature]
Assorted colors of WD-40's and Glo bugs.
[signature]
Serendipity, Klinkhammers and RENEGADES. Griffith Gnats too.
[signature]
If you are fishing the Uintas, the mosquito.
[signature]
He fishes the same places I do; Uintas, Manti-La Sals, Provo, Weber and sometimes the lower elevation lakes like East Canyon and Deer Creek.
[signature]
Chironomids and Buzzers. Next would be to make them in different sizes. I like 22 and 24 for a lot of drys, pupas and emergers. I have caught many on a 30.
[signature]
Haha 30? You're funny Joni! This is the first time I'll be tying small. I've been tying streamers on 2/0-8 hooks. Tying a size 30 just doesn't sound like a good time.

The smallest I've tied so far is a size 18 zebra midge. I think the smallest I could go would be a 22.

What colors for the flies listed do you think would be the best?
[signature]
Just me I know. But hard to spit a fly they don't even know they have sucked it...LOL
Buzzers, Blue, red, yellow and green. #14 hooks are good.
Renegades I tie in #12 to 18.
Mids, barber poles, I like black with white rib. Also blood mids red V rib. Shammy mids are awesome or Creme colored. Mids can be a whole month of tying[laugh] find your favorite. OH and one called the Irish Spring a great dropper off a BWO.
[signature]
I would add some Yong Specials in olive, creme, red and brown all with a black head. Size 20 seems to be the perfect size for the Provo.
[signature]
Nice simple midge pattern! Thanks OldTroller! [Smile]
[signature]
chironomids, pupa and buzzers[Wink].
[signature]
Fishtech sells a large bobbin that holds the huge spools of thread that you want for a yong special. BTW the best thread is Coats and Clark and look for the thread in the yellow spools. It seems to be the best for making yongs. I buy mine at Joanns.
[signature]
Don't forget soft hackles in different colors! Also cahills, and all Egans patterns.
[signature]
Whaaaaattttt? All the way to post 15 no one has mentioned a Wulff?

When you say Elk Hair Caddis, remember, size 14, 16, 18 and 20, in Olive, Grey, Tan and Black.

Adams, Parachute and regular in 14, 16 and 18.

Agree with Griffiths Gnats, in 16, 18 and 20, and the same for double Gnats.

Wulffs in Royal, white, cinnamon, tan, grey, olive and black.

For a fly box I suggest a couple of Plano 3700's with 60 compartments.[Wink]

Really, it is a very nice gift that you are planning, I would suggest you do one pattern, in 3 sizes and 4 colors, 3 flies of each size and color in a nice 12 compartment box. (Three each is one to lose in the trees, one to catch fish with and one to let you borrow.)
This will allow you to give him a selection of flies like he has probably never had before, in each popular color and in a variety of sizes.
It will also be easier on you as after a couple you will get very fast at that pattern.
So pick HIS favorite fly to use, his "go-to" pattern and get after it.
[signature]
Thanks for the input Troll. I already started to tie some chironomids and midges since I got his fly box in the mail. He's a beginner fly fisherman so he doesn't really have a "go-to" fly. If he did, this would be a hell of alot easier!

This is the fly box I got him. So the fly box is covered.
[signature]
Good call on the Wulff. Saved the trip last outing. Add a#18 bead head Prince Nymph and look out.
I also use a fly called "The Gun Slinger" I did four cast. First a Grayling, 2nd a Brookie, 3rd a Rainbow and 4th a Tiger. I say it is a keeper.
https://www.google.com/search?q=Gun+Slin...ly&spell=1
[signature]
The reference to the fly box was an attempt at humor, a Plano 3700 is about a foot wide 9" back to front and an inch deep. Just the size for all of the suggestions you have gotten. I use them for storage at home, what I really need is one of the kind that shops have with drawers
That is a very nice box you have there. Five rows in it, so maybe a row of midges a row of emergers, and wets, a row of dries, a row of terrestrial's and a row of streamers.

When I sit down at the bench, I tie a fly, one pattern, of one color and one size, I tie at least a dozen. The first few may be shaky, but the last 6 are masterpieces that I can crank out in minutes.
Then I switch sizes, same pattern, same color.
I start with the larger size and get smaller.

This helps me be a better fly tier and with a dozen of each size and color of a pattern, I'm set for a good long while.
[signature]