Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Smoked Fish
I want to smoke some fish. How about some ideas or recipes. What are you using for a smoker? About drying them in the oven? My grandfather used to smoke white fish. Always smoked them in a brown paper bag. They were better than candy. Anyone know this method?
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]I asked a similar question and got these great replies:[/size][/font]

[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=79342"][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=79342[/size][/font][/url]
[signature]
If you "dry" it in the oven it won't be smoked! The small smokers you can buy at local sporting goods or department stores, like Little Chiefs, work great for fish. And they include basic brine recipies.
[signature]
I personally dont have a smoker, but OEJ graciously lets me use his, He has a little chief, and we have smoked tons of fish this summer. Infact, we just got done smoking our Kokes from Causey and let me say I am going to bee sick from eating too much fish in one sitting. It is GOOD. I am not very good on making my own brines, so I just go to Galyans at gateway or Fred Meyers and buy their premade fish brines. and it suits me just fine!!!!
[signature]
Hey there kj, The "Little Chief" is about one of the best little smoker that you can get for your money. They have been around for many years and make a very dependable product.

My dad used to runs tons of smoked salmon through the one that we had. It was simple to use and the results are stupendous.

Be sure to check out one of our sponsors to see if they might have the one that you are looking for and enjoy a nice treat.
[signature]
hey is there flame or considerable smoke with that little chief? think i could use it on my apartment patio ?

sm
[signature]
I have an little chief and there would be no flames, its an electric smoker but there is a fair amount of smoke. I think you could control it to some extent by putting less chips in at one time but I've never tried it like that before. WH2
[signature]
I have an old Outers smoker. The electrical unit burned out long ago, so I just gutted it and use charcoal briquettes for the heat source. I put my wood chips in the little "frying pan" right on the coals. I like alder chips, but mesquite and hickory are all good. The smoke is heavy, and the heat plenty good to cook them as well. If I have as many as 3 racks in there, I usually rotate the top with the bottom after about 45 minutes, so as to make sure that top one gets cooked enough. Delicious!
[signature]
Heres one from my uncle in oregon.

Brine:

2 cups plain salt (non iodized)
2 cups brown sugar
1 gallon cold water (must be cold, and distilled should be considered)
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 Bay leaf
2 tablespoons liquid smoke
6 tablespoons soy sauce

Fresh fish - 2 hours in brine

Frozen fish - Thawed, then 45 minutes in brine

Cut salmon/steelhead in half, lenghtwise.
Brine.
Rinse in cold, running water.
Dry on racks 1 1/2 - 2 hours.
Place in smoker.
Use 3 pans of Alder, Vine Maple or Hickory chips.
Use 1 pan of chips every 3 hours (use 2-3 pans).
Rotate racks from top to bottom when adding wood chips.

Due to varying outside temperatures, additional drying may be necessary.
Dry fish in oven, set at 175 for 1/2 to 1 1/2 hours, checking at 15 minute intervals for degree of dryness you prefer. Keep oven door cracked to let moisture escape.

Enjoy!
[signature]
Thanks for the replies gang. I'll check out a Lil Smoker. I have a charcol smoker and a propane smoker, but I don't really like them as they are too hard to control the tempature and keep the smoke chips working right.
[signature]