Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Clothing for ice fishing
I've never gone out in the freezing cold other then hesitantly and with a grudge; this means that I've never really went and purchased clothing for the cold--I just find as much layers as I can and throw them on. My new found fishing addiction has me super excited to try ice fishing this year, and this means I have a long list of things I want to buy over the next couple of years. I figure I should start with clothing.

I'm curious as to what you all have for your ice-fishing wardrobe. From head to toe. Brands and kinds of materials would be helpful. Especially boots and socks. I'd rather shop after hearing "from the horse's mouth" from people with experience, as opposed to having to sift through internet reviews or store ads.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

PS. I imagine a good tent and heater can go a long way to rendering the clothing piece less important; but I'm probably a couple season away from getting those items, and good winter clothing will help on scout trips anyway (even though my idea of a great winter campout is in my basement [crazy]).
[signature]
Thermals, Fleece and some bibs and coat, Cabela's Guidewear is good stuff, lots of other brands also. Good layers underneath and a nice water/windproof outer shell. Sorel boots are always nice.
[signature]
As Remo said; thermals, wool socks, bibs and I think the most important piece of clothing is boots. You want them to be waterproof for those days when the slush monster sneaks up on you and you also want them to be insulated. My boots have 3m thinsulate in them and I only wear one pair of wool socks and I'm fine. I bought mine from Walmart for $40 or $50 bucks and I have no regrets.

A tent is nice as you almost always strip down layers throughout the day. But it's not necessary. I've spent days on the ice without a tent and have been just fine.
[signature]
Go to smith & Edwards and get you some Mickey Mouse boots and I like bibs better than coveralls. Remember don't wear your fishing gear in the truck, put it on when you get to the lake.
[signature]
I got an old school 80's 1 piece ski suite and I just love it. For sure look for a good pair of wind resistant and water proof coat and snow pants. I got a pair of snow boots from cabelas that's like 900 thermal and with a pair of wool socks I'm nice and warm all day long even on slush monster days, with gloves if you got the money too spend for a good pair I'd go with Gordini gloves any day.

Check out sports authority off 5500 S and 900 E they got a big discount area from left over snigrab sale. Ask for Brad, Casey, or Craig those guys will help you out.

If your going too buy a tent don't buy an eskimo tent. The rods are so weak a small wind storm will snap them like a twig. I was looking at the clam big foot series, they sure do have a nice thicker rod, and thicker material in the tent it's self.

Always remember if your using a heater have the doors or windows cracked open for safety. Don't want any members dying from carbon monoxide.
[signature]
As dtayboyz said micky mouse boots, you cant beat them! As far as clothes, I used carrharts for years and was ok, but I recently bought Artic Armor and its awesome!! but it is a little pricy at 350 for the set coat/bibs! Very warm! Oh and it floats if ya happen to fall through![Wink]
[signature]
I use carhart bib's,with under layer's along with my oversize carhart coat with a hoodie.Good waterproof boot's,wool sock's,beanie type hat and don't forget glove's,gotta have hand coverage.
[signature]
Just check and they are 234.99 right now.

https://www.idigear.com/arcticarmor1.php
[signature]
Don't know your budget, but I expect it may be limited like the rest of us. So check out DI you can get some really good quality stuff for way cheaper. Take it to the cleaners if you have to, and you'll still have money for an ice rod or auger. I like Carhart bibs, wool socks, Muck or Boggs boots and I have a Cabelas down jacket and I'm good for the worst of it. Oh ya better have something for your ears and hands. Good luck. J
[signature]
Having tried many different kinds of snow boots and even snowboarding boots, I finally found my answer for perfect ice fishing boots. I bought some klim snowmobile boots and they are the warmest boots I've ever worn and they have yet to fail to keep my feet dry, even in 8-10 inches of slush on top of the ice. For socks I wear a pair of merino wool socks and if it's real cold I will put on two pairs.

These are the boots I have. You can find them a little cheaper in store if they aren't the newest 2015 model, but they are essentially the same thing.
http://www.upnorthsports.com/snowmobile/...-2015.html

I would look into a pair of snowmobiling boots. They don't have to be klim, as fxr has some that are a bit cheaper and I've heard good things about them too. But if you are going to splurge on boots, klim seems to be an industry standard.
[signature]
Akammerman
Like it has been mentioned before Smith and Edwards for your Mickey mouse boots. The white one's are the best. They are about $60. With These boots you can fall in the Ice hole and pour the water out put the boot back on. And fish all day and never get cold. They are especially good for the one who has poor circulation. This happens to ya when you get older. For bibs and parka I wouldn't buy anything less the gore-tex. You might have to save up your coins but it's worth every penny. This outfit is for the extreme ice fisherman. You won't have to worry about heater or tent. Again this is just my 2 cents on what you've asked for.
[signature]
Thank you everyone. This is very helpful and gives me some direction. I appreciate the time you all take to help those of us who new to all of this. Never even knew those things I called "ski suits" were called bibs.

On the hunt for boots and a bib to start with. Gotta fill up my spending-money-piggy -bank first!

[Smile]
[signature]
Layers. You want to dress in proper layers. No, not just throw more and more on until you are warm enough. There is a lot of information and science out there behind winter-time layering that you can quickly search. It makes a huge difference.

Start with a good "base layer" set of thermals and socks. Merino wool if you have the $, but the polyester sets I use for hunting and fishing work fine and make all the difference. My wife and I won't put them on until everything is packed, and we're ready to walk out the door to the truck. They make too much of a difference to wear if going in and out of the house! Even the lightweight ones make a huge difference. If you sweat a little while walking to your spot, you won't chill as bad as this layer is intended to wick it away from your body, and still retains insulating properties when damp. DON'T wear cotton against you skin.

Then add on one or two insulating layers (fleece, wool, etc). One thick poofy layer, and one less so provides for a huge amount fo flexibility in temp regulation. Finally, you want something windproof, but breathable (gortex, etc). With such a setup you have great flexibility, and can plan for even the coldest conditions in the morning, but not overheat when you are working hard to setup the tent, move into the tent, or the sun and temps rise.

Avoid just going for the giant puffy coat or insulated bibs to compensate for the lack of proper layers - you can end up sweating and therefore even colder than with less clothes.
[signature]
o you guys are g[shocked][shocked]d keep them coming
[signature]
Don't forget the sunglasses...the sun can rip your eyelids off (or so it will feel like it)[cool]

Frozen Rod
[signature]
Muck boots! Then you can use them in the spring and fall also when your fishing or hunting in Mud!
[signature]
I used coveralls for years but did not like how my knees were always wet (from kneeling down all the time). I recently upgraded to the Cabelas guidewear, and will not ice fish without them. I have a redhead camo jacket 2 piece and super warm. 1 pair of merino wool socks with mickey mouse boots. Add the thermals with 1 sweater and pair of jeans.
[signature]
I stay pretty low-tech about my cold weather clothing. I will eventually take the plunge and get some top shelf stuff, but for now, the following keeps me alive whether I'm floating in December or standing on ice:

Thermal pants for a base layer (wish I had the top too)

Sweatpants over the thermals (two pairs if it's sub-zero)

Thick socks

Long sleeve shirt for a base, maybe two

Hoodie

Good coat

Insulated leather gloves - dexterous and warm

Bomber hat

I also wear my waders/wading boots in case I pop a leg through, plus they keep me dry.

I've floated Strawberry on my birthday (Dec 23) before and been fine for hours at a time.

As far as wearing everything in the car, I haven't noticed any issues. I prefer to start nice and warm, then I stay that way.

Getting one of those nice cold weather suits would be really slick though.
[signature]
Car hart type insulated coveralls and sorrel or equivalent boots wool liners are warmest remove and dry after use. I use two wool insoles to keep my feet further from the ice, but the most important thing to protect is your head, up to 3 hats and a neck gaiter, protect your eye holes with close fitting glasses or if it's bad, ski goggles. the new high tech fabrics and insulation are good if you want to spend, but if you pick good days and don't try to challenge mother nature you can get by with the less expensive option, mother nature always wins anyway. Shanties are good but you will warm up good pulling it out on the ice, the good ones are heavy, then you need a snowmobile, the list never ends. On the right day you can walk out a little way with a pole and a spud a chair and catch fish or not and have fun, good luck.
[signature]
:#
[signature]