Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Skyline Pond in St George - 11/28
In St. George for my daughter's soccer tournament, and I was able to hit the Skyline community pond this morning before her first game. My son didn't want to get up and go with me, so I went alone. It was a lot of fun.

Fished from about 7:10 to 8:40 and caught five fish. Four were in the 13-15 inch range and another was a 6-7 incher. Caught one on a larger white fly with a red bead, and the other four on a cheap spinner from a Walmart multi-pack (I don't know their proper name--you can see it in the pictures).

Spent some time chatting with two gentlemen who were fishing on the bottom and having good success, too. Got some pointers from them as I've never been successful with power bait off the bottom.

Hit the community pond in Ivins around noon with my son for about an hour. Felt some tugs fishing power bait off the bottom, but didn't catch any. One three generation trio next to us was killing it. Filled up their green bubbles, put power bait about 18 inches below and cast it out and waited. Tried to mimic their rig, but to no avail. Maybe the 3 year-old power bait I used wasn't as tempting as what they were offering.

I'll hit the Skyline pond again tomorrow morning and I'll drag my son kicking or screaming if need be. I don't want him leaving St. George skunked. We have a goal of catching a fish in every Utah county and we won't be in Washington county for another year.

The soccer schedule won't afford us a time to get out to Sand Hollow; but this pond is providing some good fun.

[fishon]
[signature]
Hadn't heard of that place before. Nice work on the bows!
[signature]
Nice report. I will be down that way in two weeks and was planning on hitting both quail creek and sand hollow. I might just put this on my list as well.
[signature]
I live there during the winter months. The community ponds are fun for catch and release using a fly and bubble combination. One pond is less than 5 minutes from my house. They stock the ponds about every 3 weeks during the winter.
[signature]
Went again to Skyline Pond on Saturday morning with my son. Got the first on the white fly with a red bead, but then they weren't hitting any flies or spinners at all. Decided to use powerbait off the bottom and that was the ticket. In the 90 minutes we were there, Hyrum got two and I caught three. Not fast and furious, but a good enough pace for us to have fun. It is truly gratifying to fish with my son; and I'm always amazed at his patience and positive attitude. He's a good example for me.

We then hit the pond near Ivins again around 4 PM and we caught 2 fish in the 20 minutes we were there.

Bummed that we didn't have the time to hit Sand Hollow or Quail Creek. I'll have to find a way to get a trip down there. This winter.

Threw in a pic of my kids at the dunes just for fun!
[signature]
Nice akammerman!
[signature]
Looks like a fun place for kids to get in some fishing.

Nice fish and great looking bunch of kids.
[signature]
Ncie report, I think I will swing by there on the 13th and see what is biting. Now to find out how to get there.[laugh]
[signature]
Take the St George BLVD exit west off I-95. Take the first Right one block later (1000 East) then turn left onto Red Hill Parkway a block later. It's a few blocks down on your right and can be seen from the road. Nice view but remember that they suggest anyone over 14 use artificial bait (which powerbait isn't in my book). I driven by countless times but have never stopped . Do the kids a favor and save them some fish. There are plenty of places to fish close by if you have a car. Both Quail Creek and Sand Hollow can't be more than 15 minutes away. Same for Leeds Creek and the Santa Clara River isn't much further than that.
[signature]
Thanks for the info. It will all be C&R so plenty of fish for the kids. I plan on hitting sand hollow and quail creek as well.
[signature]
I had better luck on the fishing bridge near the waterfall. I'll post a report later when I upload my picture. It is a fun place to fish but there are a lot of small fish in the pond. PowerBait works well there.
[signature]
A woolly bugger fished with a water bubble can be very fun to fish with at the ponds.
Pistol Pete's can be even better.
The trout usually are caught in the mouth, making release easy on the fish.
I see too many dead trout floating at community ponds from being released after removing a hook deep inside the fish. This is usually caused from fishing power bait.
[signature]
I drive by that pond every day, but have only fished it a handful of times.
For me, nothing will ever beat a black wooly bugger with a 14 or 16 prince nymph dropped 18" below; slaughters those planters.

If you're looking to catch fish on Sand Hollow, prepare for a lot of work and unless you're lucky/awesome, not many results. It is fishing ROUGH right now, at least for me. Then again, I'm to very lucky and light years from awesome, so who knows. I can't comment on Quail, because that lake is the bane of my existence, but the rumor is that the trout in there have/will bite... I'll believe it when I see it.
[signature]
I love this pond. There are some nice trout in there. Never caught a trout there myself.
But the bass fishing is amazing. Caught some very decent size there. Tight lines
[signature]
I did not know there were bass in that pond, if you don't mind sharing, what were you catching them on.
[signature]
I did a brief stint in St. George this summer for school. There's a pond smack in the middle of town, about 3 streets north of the Boulevard. Stuffed full of bluegill, smallmouth bass, and snapping turtles. I even had a turtle bite a bluegill I was pulling in, in half!

Great place to take kids and start em on the fly rod. the bluegill will take anything, so long as it floats!
[signature]
I like to catch bass at Ivins Reservoir. I may go back to Skyline Pond and try my new flies I bought over the weekend.
[signature]
There is something else in there as well. I had a bite from it and it went airborne then threw the hook. It looked similar to a chub or whitefish with the dark back. Not like the planter bow that I caught out of there.
[signature]