Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nils ice auger Help!
I went up to scofield reservoir last Saturday and I couldn't drill a hole in the ice very easy, I asked other fisherman if they were having issues but I guess it was just me.

I have a 6in nils ice auger that is just one year old, last year it worked great except for my last trip to fish lake and everybody was having a hard time drilling a hole so I thought scofield ice was the same issue but I used someones Strike-master and it was still a little hard but I was able to make me 4 holes pretty quick where it took like 30 to 40 min with my nils ice auger.

Any ideas?

Do I have to buy a new auger?
[signature]
Are the blades sharp?
[signature]
Yes they are, which makes me wonder why its not working... I will post of photo of the blades when I get off work and maybe that might help and someone can see something I can't.
[signature]
I went to scofield last week and this week and I've been drilling ice like it was still butter. If I was you i'd contact Nils too see what the warranty on the augers are and what does it cover if they even have warranty on them. If it comes too the worst part you might need to buy a new blade and they arn't cheap. I'm not sure if a store carries just the blade part in Utah that I know of.

Contact.
http://www.nilsmaster.com/

Website where you can buy a new one.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Nils-USA-...l+Products
[signature]
I bought a Nils auger and after a lot of initial research it sounds like you need to get your cutting head sharpened. Most complaints (negative reviews) I found were solved by sending in the cutting head for sharpening. I hope this helps. I haven't had a chance to use my new Nils yet.

For Nils Master Cutting Head Sharpening Service contact:
Frank Deluca
5382 Jentoft Rd.
Saginaw, MN 55779
218-729-7941

frankbdeluca@yahoo.com
[signature]
Had the same issue with my Nils after just two trips out of the box. Had to send mine to Frank and no problems since. You have to be really careful not to bang it on the ice. The shape is easily compromised so that it will not cut properly even if the the blades are sharp. I'd send it in quickly as I'm sure he's gonna be busy this time of year.
[signature]
How much did it cost to have him sharpen the blades? is it better to buy a new head or just sharpen the blades?

Thanks for all the feed back everyone.
[signature]
I want to say 20-25$ plus shipping each way but can't remember. I tried to search a previous thread from a few years ago when I had the problem to see if I posted costs then but I didn't. It may be worth reading the thread for more information though. I think I chimed in on page 2 somewhere and it looks like dirt on the ice was causing dulling for a lot of us that year.

http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gfo...306;page=2
[signature]
I've had a nils auger for 3 years now. The second year I had it I was drilling a hole at deer creek and ran into a rock someone had most likely thrown out to check the ice thickness earlier in the year and was now frozen in the ice under the snow. I stopped drilling as soon as the blade touched it, but it was too late. As you stated, it would not cut at all after that even though the main part of the blade was razor sharp still. It doesn't take much to ruin the angle or dull the inner part of the blade. However, like others suggested I sent it into Frank and he does a great job, takes it out and sharpens it as soon as he gets it, then puts it on an auger and tests it, and sends it back out usually the same day he gets it.
[signature]
$25 and you pay to ship it to Frank. He should have it back to you in 7 to 10days. I send mine (two) after each season for sharpening. Blades are sensitive. Utah ice has a lot of sand in it and that dulls blades fast. When I lived in Minnesota I'd get three years between sharpening but not so out here.
[signature]
Those blades are extremly sharp even when they aren't sharp enough to cut ice. I tried sharpening mine and all I did wall fillet my finger open. I always carry a spare with me just in case. I sent one last year to Frank and he was quick on getting it back to me. My first blade barely lasted a season, this is the 5th year with the blade I have on it now. Don't give up on the Nils yet--still the best auger I have ever used.
[signature]
Jeremy,

I ice fish with several retired friends that have nils 6" augers and they all say they are the best hand auger on the market. I bought mine 3 years ago and it is still cutting great. The most critical part of the auger are the blade tips. If they are damaged, it will not cut. I don't loan my auger to anyone, if someone needs a hole drilled I will do it for them, it only takes one hard drop on the blade tips to damage them. Last year, one of my friends loaned his nils to a guy that said he forgot his auger and just wanted to open up a couple of holes that he had drilled the day before, when he brought it back it wouldn't cut at all.
[signature]
I'm the same way with mine. Too many people like to bounce the auger on the ice after cutting a hole to shake the sluch off. It doesn't take much and Nils won't drill anymore. On the flip sid, with care these blades will last. Like I said in my previous post, this is my 5 season on this head and I do a lot of ice fishing.
[signature]
+1

I'll drill a hole for anyone that needs it and won't let anybody use it but me.
[signature]
Ditto on what everyone has previously posted. As far as I know, Frank D. is the only person who properly sharpens Nils auger heads. Abrasive materials like sand and grit in or on the ice dulls the blades enough that they will not work. A few years ago, at first ice on Pineview, we were fishing the downwind side of Cemetary Pt. It was another dry fall without snow on the ground. Evidently, wind blown sand from the beach became deposited or embedded in the ice. Three of us had Nils augers that would not cut after a single trip. I guess a similar thing has happened to others under the bridge at Starvation with road grime being deposited on the ice. As far as drilling into a rock hidden in the ice, well, that's why they should not be thrown there. Makes me Angry to see all those rocks at access points. I use a spud bar to test early ice thickness. Give Frank a call, or send him an e-mail. He'll provide instructions on removal of the head and mailing. Use caution when removing the head. The blade may not cut ice but is still keen enough for hand surgery. My auger has been cutting ever since Frank sharpened the blade. Professional sharpening is a lot cheaper than a new blade. That being said, I did buy a replacement head for back-up if this ever happens to me again. Gotta keep drilling!
[signature]
Thanks for everyones help on this topic, I ended up sending mine to frank, it took about 7 to 10 days and he charged me 20 bucks to sharpen the blade but requested Priority Mail through the US Post Office which meant 10 bucks to ship there and 10 bucks to ship back so all in all it was like 40 bucks to fix which was more then I wanted to spend!

I wish I had just bought a new blade for 60 bucks and had a local guy try and sharpen the auger blade first.

I am excited to try out my newly sharpened blade this Saturday!

Thanks everyone!
[signature]
Does anyone have a great local contact (SLC area) that either sharpens hand augers or works on them?

Thanks
[signature]