Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bear Lake is Hot!
Went up Friday to try my luck at white fish. It was my first try at them. With all the info on the net I had a good idea where to start. Anyway my buddy Brian caught one second cast and he only waited that long because the one he had on the first cast got off! That was just the start of a great day. We caught around 50 of them and none were small. For awhile I was catching one every cast.

About the third fish I caught was a 25 in cut that put up an awesome fight (not a Strawberry cut fight[crazy]) My dog got so excited he fell out of the boat! and a half hour later Brian caught one even bigger it was almost 7 lbs! It took him over 10 minutes to get him in!

We got kind of bored catching whites and a bit wore out due to their awesome fight so we headed out for deeper water and I jigged up 6 lakers in about 1.5 hours the biggest being 8 pounds.

Bear Lake has never been this good to me! The weather was great. I did it a little different though Most of the white fish were caught on 4 inch white or root beer sparkle tube with a 3/8 ounce jig and 12lb floro leader on 10 pound hi vis braid. They were between 2 and 6 feet deep. I also fished the west side. I guess I got lucky[Smile]
[signature]
You weren't kidding! Looks epic!![cool]
[signature]
[Smile]Those fish are spectacular! Great Job! Bear Lake is hot! Congratulations on a superior trip.

Silver_Eagle
[signature]
Looks like a great trip! Those are some big Cutts'!
[signature]
Great report thank you and great fish way to go. Later J
[signature]
Setthehook has already shared the link but we hit the white fish run early last week and took home 9 eaters.

Setthehook and I are trying to host a youtube channel that focuses on hunting and fishing in throughout Utah.

Below is a link of one of our first videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-cWpdWee48

I hope you enjoy the video and support us by liking and sharing the video

Thanks[bobhappy]
[signature]
Forgive me this noob question, but what exactly are whitefish? I kind of assumed they were the same as white bass in Utah lake, but when I saw your pictures, they're clearly not.
[signature]
I wish I could have fished all weekend but due to other commitments I couldn't. It had me moping around all day yesterday trying to figure out how to get back while its still hot and the weather is so good! I think I have a fishing problem[shocked] ! Maybe Monday[Wink]
[signature]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whitefish
Maybe this will help.
[signature]
[quote Moosedog]Most of the white fish were caught on 4 inch white or root beer sparkle tube with a 3/8 ounce jig[/quote]

Really ... most of your whites came in on a 4 inch tube? That's insane.

Were you tipping the hook with anything?

What time of the day did you start casting and what time of the day would you say was the best catching?
[signature]
Might be why they only caught big fish. Those 11"ers were pretty small mouthed a 4" jig wouldn't fit in. I think I could have fished a larger lure better. I tried the 1/16 oz and it was hard to feel hit.
[signature]
Makes me want to try a 2" tube with a 1/4 oz. jig head.
[signature]
Yep a 4 inch tube 3/8 ounce jig and an inch or so of crawler. cast in to the shore and hop it along the rocks trying to keep contact and when it at all times. We got snagged up a lot but with the heavy jig I could feel the weight of the jig and feel the slightest hit. Several of the fish completely engulfed it. They bit good from 7:30 to 9 and it slowed for about an hour (I think we just got off the fish) and then from 10 to 2 it was really steady. We got hung up a lot and motoring in to get free would spook them for a few. There was a sand transition about 5 or 6 feet where you could slow way down and caught most of the fish there. After 2 we went after Macks
[signature]
Think I'll try my bigger heavier jigs next time, I'm no good at fishing that light stuff... Plus I like bigger fish when it comes time to filleting them up... I think I had the same thing going on as it sounds like you did, this weekend... I really struggled to catch my 4 fish... Seemed like it was easy for all the others around me, but I could not buy a bite for the longest time... Makes me want to go back and figure out what I was doing wrong... Fished seven different poles and rigs and changed rigs and it was a total struggle for me... I usually catch fish on the first pole and never change rigs all day... Not the case this week... Later J
[signature]