Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Utah Lake- 2 hours=106 fish
Enjoyed a beautiful day of fishing with my neighbor as we continue to wait for the ice to come on. Fall like weather and the bass were swarming. It took longer to fillet the 106 (101 white bass & 5 perch) then to catch them in a 2 hour span. Could be a good indication of size and numbers this year. The fish fry was excellent.
[signature]
Good job, those are some better looking whities that I've seen posted on here. Were you fishing from shore or from a boat?
[signature]
From the shore.
[signature]
I would love to go hit Utah lake in the next few days. A few questions before I go:

I'm not too interested in reading white bass. However, if I recall correctly, you must kill them if you catch them in Utah lake, right? No releasing allowed?

Also, would I do better with my medium pole and 10 lb mono, or my UL rig with 4 lb line?
[signature]
The only kill order in Utah lake is for Northern Pike. There is no limit on how many white bass you can take but you can still catch and release them.

It sounds like you have your line balanced well for your rods, just make sure to balance your jig/bait/lure with your line and rod. A fishing rods ability to have force(weight of jig/bait/lure) bend it and then snap back into its neutral position is where you get the ability to fling your baits across the water. Each rod requires a certain amount of force in order to be effective at casting. Too heavy of a bait and your rod cant "snap" back into its neutral position when casting, too light of a bait and your rod wont load enough to create a snap. The other side of this is your fishing line. The real factor with fishing line is mass, not the #test of the line. Think of it this way, during a cast, as the mass of the line thats in the air gets closer to the mass of the bait being cast, your lure slows down. Its a balancing game and i usually start with my bait. If i have to use an 1/8th oz jig to catch the fish i am targeting then i wont use generic mono over 6# test or braid over 10-15# test. If you were to use heavier lines, your casting distance will be seriously hindered. There are many many variables in this equation but the principle is basic to understand. To make it more simple...just follow the instructions on the side of your rod(95% of rods will have it) just above or below your foregrip where it gives a lure and line weight range that is most effective with your rod [Wink]
Length and action(slow-fast) have very little to do with this but more so effect casting distance and bait action in the water.
[signature]
Very nice I have been having the same results with a few crappie and gills also. I made some delicious panfish chowder with mine[Smile]
[signature]
Thanks for the report!
[signature]
Thanks for the report. Maybe I'll get into some white bass action through the ice once winter comes back. [cool]
[signature]
Thanks for the reply, and the info on helping me to balance my rod/line/lure weights.

I meant more in terms of "what will a white bass go for" though. Having never fished for them, I'm not sure if I should be using a size 10 with a tiny worm or a big old octopus hook with a sinker.

Doing a bit of research, I think I'll spool up the 6'0 light action rod with 6# mono and go for a nice compromise between the other two Smile Does that sound about right for targeting white bass?

And someone mentioned they were catching bluegills? I'd love to hit some of that action. Want something to eat...
[signature]
Amazing!!! Where were you fishing? Would like a try in a couple of days. Thanks.
[signature]
How deep? What kind of structure (rocks or weeds? Drop-offs?) What time of day is best? Regular lures, like jigs and spinners?

Anything like that you could tell me would be nice. I have nephews in from Texas, whose parents don't fish, and I'd like to take em.
[signature]
*bump*
[signature]