Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Non typical Berry fish
So I was just curious what your thoughts are on the Berry. I find the fish at Strawberry are much different then any fish any other place.

My point being, at Strawberry, when you get a bite and miss it, 95% of the time it's coming back for a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th attempt.

Also, when I fish with a camera through the ice, the fish at the Berry seem mesmorized by the camera itself and often bump it and run into it. They are not frinicky by the camera itself like most other places.

And last but not least, fishing from a boat, I don't know how many fish I have caught within 5 feet of the boat that follow your jig in and give it one or two more bounces and catch them there.

For these reasons I find the fish at Strawberry fascinating and it sets them apart from any other fish in any other reservoir I have ever fished. What are your experiences?
[signature]
I dano. I kinda think all you have described is just kind of normal. If I were a fish, I would do those things you have described.
[signature]
Normal fish but need to replace the pathetic fighting cutts with something like Tigers or Browns.
When a 1 lb. bow fights harder than a 4 lb. cutt a change is needed.
I only use ultralight poles, light line, and light tackle and am tired of the cutts.
The guys running pop gear, lead line, and other heavy gear probably have a hard time telling a cutt is on the end of their line?
Wasn't there a proposal to experiment with 10k tigers in Strawberry or something like that? Where do I sign?!!
[signature]
I agree that the berry is a unique fishery and a real gem (though I get follow-on strikes on other lakes as well). Not to long ago I watched a cut attack a dodger over and over again while reeling in his buddy who was hooked on the same line. My non-scientific two cents is that the cuts and bows attack to wound and immobilize a meal first, and then come back around to eat.
[signature]
My experience is that the fish are much more aggressive in the late fall at Strawberry
[signature]
It's mainly the cutts that act this stupid, correct? My theory (and I'm quite sure I'm right), is that the cutts have learned through repeated catch and release that they might as well take a chance on anything that looks even remotely edible. The reason they don't really battle is because they've learned that they might as well just let themselves be drug up for the eventual release. Then one day they've reached 22" and they get the big surprise. Onto the stringer!
[signature]
Now that there is funny.[laugh]
[signature]
As a Wyoming angler I see all of the Strawberry posts on here and do not understand why Strawberry is so popular...

I'd get sick of catching tons of fish that are 2-3lbs....just me.

Seems like it could be a neat lake I don't get why it is managed the way it is... shouldn't it be producing 6-12lb fish a lot more commonly? Is it overstocked?
[signature]
[quote Gemcityslayer]Seems like it could be a neat lake I don't get why it is managed the way it is... shouldn't it be producing 6-12lb fish a lot more commonly? Is it overstocked?[/quote]

With the pressure Strawberry gets the fish haven't got a chance to reach those proportions. Rainbows are almost guaranteed to become dinner after 15" and any cut 22.0001" is DOA. Virtually all the photos I've seen of larger fish from there (not too common) clearly show they are headed for the grill. I can't blame most people for keeping a large fish when it is likely a "once in a lifetime" catch but once it's dead it aint going to get any bigger... except in stories[Wink]
[signature]
Great answer! Add the shots with Boga Grips (will never understand them on trout), dragging through mud or dropping on ground/boat decks.
It is also a cycle thing. 8 years ago I caught many over 24" and thick.
I am not sure how much more management can do to improve on this (aside from adding Tigers[Wink]).
It is also popular because of it's size and it always produces. Not to mention that possibility of a 30+".
[signature]
I experience more repeated strike activity from the Cutts at Scofield than those at Strawberry. I do think it's an aggressive cutthroat behavior and not at all unique to Strawberry.

I like fishing Strawberry for Kokes in summer and in the late fall for bigger Cutts and Rainbows. Other than that, I usually pick someplace else.

"Back in the day" when the SLC area was smaller, Strawberry produced much larger fish. I do think it's tough to manage that lake given the Cutthroat management pressure from outside Utah and the angling pressure.
[signature]
[#0000FF]The cutts at Bear Lake are fairly well known for being either overly aggressive, greedy or suicidal. Not unusual at all to reel one up halfway to the top...from 50 feet deep...to have it come loose and then grab the jig again. This behavior has been witnessed multiple times by anglers in the clear waters of that lake.

I have also experienced similar behavior in some streambred cutts...repeatedly smacking a bait or lure until they get hooked well enough to be brought in. In addition to hitting again shortly after being hooked and lost I have seen a released fish recover within a few minutes and hit the same lure upon which it was just caught a few minutes before.

Wonder if Darwin ever studied cutties. Strangely they have survived and are still with us...thanks to DWR. In some places, no thanks to DWR.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]