Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Starvation (Report) 1-4-04
We got on the water about 3:00p.m. I drilled four holes ranging from 40' to 50'. The ice on the East side of the dam is 4 inches thick. It is good, clear ice, but it does bounce a little when you walk on it. For all that will be out on Saturday, I will be by the dam in the afternoon. With the clearing of the skys and the wind, it was zero degrees at 5:00, so come prepared. On to the fishing.

We were fishing on top of the hump off of the building on the dam. There were two other guys fishing just West of us (about 20-25 feet). They were fishing in 65-70 feet. We tried all kinds of plastics in diferent colors. Whistlers, Fuzzies, Darters, on and on. We did not get a single bite. The two guys next to us were a different story all together. From 4:30-5:30 they caught 6 eyes. They were all small, but the bite was fairly fast. They missed as many as they caught. They were fishing a 1/8oz white leadhead with a full crawler. Two poles each, which reminds me that Starvation is a two pole lake, so pick up a second pole permit for $15 before you head up.

From what I get from WB's trip and my own, the fish are concntrated in very small areas and are moving up to feed at different times depending on the day. I don't know of any bite early in the day, but the afternoon seems to be OK. Be careful where you travel on the lake. The ice isn't safe everywhere. I would not take a sled or wheeler out yet. I'm sure it will thicken at least another inch by Saturday, but that is only 5 inches. See you all out here on Saturday. I'll either be in a white 92' Mercury Topaz or a red 97' Chevy truck depending on the roads.
[signature]
Thanks for the report CF, how far is the walk down to the ice from where you parked? We haven't heard from you in a while, how are things in your neck of the woods? WH2
[signature]
If you park on the dam, you only have about a hundred foot hike down the steep dam and the fifty to a hundred feet on the lake. You can only park on the East side of the building that is on the dam. There is room for 20 or so vehicles. Depending on where you hit the water, you can be anywhere from 20' to 80' at that distance out. There is a hump straight out from the building on the dam. If you go straight down from the no parking sign on the West side of teh building, you will be on the deep water slope of the hump. That is where the guys that were catching fish were yesterday. I broke through at the edge of the water and sunk up to my knee in very cold water, so watch your step on to the ice. Everyone that saw me just stepped over the hole I made and the ice was solid.Take the same road you normally take to get to the main boat ramp. When you get to the pay station, turn right instead of going through the station. The road is slick going down onto the dam, so be careful and go very slow. The hike back up the dam is the worst part of the trip. Hope to see you up there.
[signature]
It soulds like it would be tough to take a ice hut down to the water is that right?
[signature]
THanks for the report, what tackle should I bring to fish for EYES??? I am looking forward to coming out to enjoy the fun with everyone next saturday!!!
[signature]
The dam is steep, but it is stepped. As long as the hut isn't really heavy, you would have no trouble with getting the grip to haul it back up. Besides, there will be all of us out there to help you haul it up.
[signature]
Since I haven't pulled one through the ice, I may not be the one you want to ask. What I have heard and have seen work is Fuzzy Grubs in Chartreuse and Brown, plain leadheads in multiple colors, Whistler jigs in Chartreuse, Orange, Pink, and White, Fireball Jigs in Chrome, Yellow, and Gold. 1/8 to 1/4 ounce for all of these. A lot of folks swear by the swedish pimple, but I have heard nothing of it's success on Starvation.

I tried some of these yesterday and had no luck. I am going to pick up some of teh Mustad colored light wire Walleye hooks in red and glow. I am going to try them with a crawler under a simple split shot. The bite has been sooo light that I want teh fish to take the bait hard before I feel them.
[signature]