Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bear Lake Marina Report and Cisco Update
I spoke with the guys at the Bear Lake State Park this morning. They are planning to shut down the bubblers (deicers) today and let the marina freeze over for the year. The bubblers just can't keep up even with running 24 hrs. a day. Right now there has been only one boat that I know of one the lake in the last week. I think he pulled a boat down off the Gus Rich Point area. I really can't give any fishing report since I haven't talked to anyone who has been fishing. As far as the cisco run goes it should start around the weekend of Jan 17-18, however they could begin a little before or after that time. It is hard to predict if the lake will freeze before that time since it depends on good 'ol Mother Nature. In order to freeze the lake needs several consecutive days of very cold temps and no wind. However, if it does not freeze and if boats cannot be launched due to deep snow around the lake, not all is lost. The last two years have been excellent for dipping cisco off Cisco Beach. What is even better is that you do not have to stand waist deep in freezing cold water in chest waders. However, wearing waders or even hip boots helps to keep dry. If you KNEEL on shore right at the water's edge the fish will not see your profile and typically come right in next to shore where they can be easily netted by "swatting" the net down on top of them. I've done this the last two years and have had limits in just a few scoops and never got my feet wet, while I watched people with chest waders standing waist deep in water and never seeing a fish! The only thing is the fish have to be running and the weather has to be calm so you can see the fish. If you don't have a cisco net then I suggest buying one soon. Some of the bigger sporting goods stores stock "cisco/smelt nets", but once they sell out, then they rarely get in more nets before the run is over. Once the fish start running they will go about 10-14 days and then be gone for another year. The Bear Lake office of Wildlife Resources will begin monitoring the Cisco Beach area on a daily basis starting this weekend. You can listen to daily reports by calling the office after 4:00pm each day. The number is 435-946-8501. PLEASE ONLY CALL AFTER 4:00PM.
[signature]
Well it sounds like "Plan B" will be in order this year. I have never fished through the ice at Bear Lake -- so I guess, without not being able to take out my boat until spring, I might as well give ice fishing a go up there! Let's hope that we don't get the worst of both worlds -- frozen marina and snowed in other access points and a wide open lake.

Scott, does your suggestion for kneeling and netting the ciscos work once the sun hits the water, or should one plan on being there earlier than that? Also, can the cisco be netted at night (I wouldn't mind running up after work, but I couldn't be up there until 7:00 PM or so)?
[signature]
Kent I have not had very good luck in the dark they are few and far between,the first hours of light and the last few hours of light will be your best bet!!M.H.
[signature]
I just purchased my smelt "cisco" net at Sportsman's in Midvale. It was $19.99 and they had several still available. However, that may change quickly when the cisco begin to run.
[signature]
Thanks for sending me into deep depression!!!!!! Well if it is going to freeze then I hope it freezes to the point that I can walk on it to ice fish??
[signature]
I've netted for the cisco for the past couple of years at Bear Lake. I've only done it at the marina, tried it once at cisco beach with very little luck. At the marina though the best times I found were around 5 am til about 7 am after that the fish just stop coming in. Might not work at the marina this year with the water being as low as it is. But ill give it a go in a couple of weeks.
[signature]