Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fishing the Green???
Does anyone know how the flyfishing on the Green is this time of year. Where is the best area to fish and what fly's. I have a friend with a plane that wants to fly to Dutch John and fish for the day and I need some info. Thanks in advance...
[signature]
The Green fishes well all winter long. Stop into the fly shop in Dutch John and they'll load you up with what's working and give you the most up-to-date beta.

Here's a link to Dennis Breer's site: [url "http://www.fishgreenriver.com"]http://www.fishgreenriver.com[/url]. Click the Fishing Rep link to sign up for his weekly reports.
[signature]
It fishes very well this time of year,bug life is on the small side,B.W.O. patterns in 20-26 for surface or Griffeth Gnat. Nymphing is good with sow bugs or scuds,Zebra midge,Brassie. Streamer fish with big buggers in black,ginger,olive tie them up with rubber leggs.

this is the best time of year if you do not like crowds.
[signature]
Gumbo and HFT thanks for the info. I have fished the Green in the summer and have also wondered how the winter fishing is. This information will be usefull.
[signature]
One very important thing to remember is how you present your offering. I have found the fish on the Green to be very smart about what they will hit.Even if you are using the right fly you need to know how to present it in a natural way. Remember to mend your line often as needed. Don't let your line drag the fly down stream. Also if you are nymphing, keep the fly on the bottom of the river by adding weight until the fly starts to drag once in a while. To keep on the bottom ,a good rule is to have twice the length of leader as the depth of water you are fishing. [12' of leader in 6' of water]I also swear by a strike indicator. The fish hit so soft you will not feel the strike. I agree with using small flies size 18 to 22 dropped behind an attractor. Let us know how you do and fish-on DKS
[signature]