Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mead 12-29-14
Ahhh, nothing like watching the sun come up on Lake Mead. 58 degree water temps and somewhere in the upper 20s air temp wise. Essentially no winds so all I cared about. Both Madi and myself were about as bundled up as one can get. Bibs, sweatshirts, heavy jackets, etc, etc. Sure makes putting a life jacket on a choir with all of that.

Anyways... Shad was a little bit of a choir but not bad. 5-6 other boats where back there tossing the nets in the usual spot and everyone was back there just as long so no one was getting killer loads of Shad in one swing. Spent maybe 45 minutes tossing the net and called it with maybe 50 Shad in the boat. Only a good handful of the "prized" sized ones though.

Started off not far from there and landed the best one of the day. Then Madi caught a dink that we released and from then on it was a whole lot of staring at the rods. Not a ton of action plus the sonar was screaming go somewhere else. Eventually I gave up on fishing with Shad and switched over to trolling just to cover some ground to try to locate them. Madi landed a keeper on a swimbait while doing that. Eventually we found a spot that the sonar liked and caught a couple more there. More than enough for dinner so I guess all that matters. Brought 4 home and promptly got them all cooked up with a whole mess of leftovers for a fish taco lunch tomorrow.

All 4 that we caught were extremely light bites. One had to really keep their eyes peeled to the rods. It sure isn't like it use to be that is for sure. Not too many years ago we would roll into the Vegas Wash and land 80+ before 11am. Sure missing those days.

Best one of the day:

[Image: LakeMead_12-29-14_001.jpg]

I'm not a huge fan of fishing this deep but since were going to keep/eat most everything we caught I didn't mind bringing them up from these depths.

[Image: LakeMead_12-29-14_002.jpg]

Popped over to the dam for the heck of it along with a buzz to Calville and most areas inbetween that looked like possible Striper hang-outs (zero spots found). The only fish I saw on the sonar all day was in the Wash area.

[Image: LakeMead_12-29-14_003.jpg]

On the way back to the ramp we stopped at the intake towers. There was a little activity on the sonar so what the heck... Not exactly what I was expecting.

[Image: LakeMead_12-29-14_004.jpg]

Then a sight I HIGHLY doubt I will ever ever ever see again on Lake Mead... A pair of 57'ish Chevy's buzzed by us.

[Image: LakeMead_12-29-14_006.jpg]

The keep for the day.

[Image: LakeMead_12-29-14_007.jpg]
[signature]
Thanks for the report! I wanted to go out this weekend at sun up but I seen the temps and that really dissuaded me. Maybe this weekend. Start the year off right! Smile
[signature]
I can deal with just about any temp... As long as there is no wind! If there would of been any yesterday it woud of been coooold but since there wasn't it wasn't bad at all. In the end it was a totally nice day to be on the water minus the catch ratio.
[signature]

Thanks for sharing the detailed report! I cant believe there was a pair of Chevys out there. I agree that the shad are getting hard to find with the water rising, and it is becoming a chore. But I have found piles of stripers in shallow water up near the old water line and in coves, so maybe try looking there next time. Happy New Year and way to stick out the cold.
[signature]