Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lake Trout Setup for Ice-Fishing
I usually have 5 Rods set up with different jigs and combinations. The problem is that all of them are set up with 4# test. I would like to concentrate on catching a 20# + Laker a at Fish Lake or Flaming Gorge in the future. What rod, line size, jigs and bait will I need.

Thanks for your expertise

Windriver
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]I like a rod with a little back bone. I use custom graphites but I have used HT Ice Blue heavy action ice rods and can say they'll fit the bill. I like the 44" long model. They come in spinning and baitcaster models. Here's a link:[/size][/font] [center][url "http://htent.com/Ice%20Rod%20Pages/IBT.htm"][font "Arial Black"][#333366][size 3]HT Ice Blue Heavy Action Ice Rods[/size][/#333366][/font][/url][/center] [left][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Some guys like mono, others like florocarbons, other florocarbon hybrids but I like Fireline. It give me the no stretch, ultimate feel over any other line. I use #20 and use a #15 florocarbon leader.[/size][/font][/left] [left][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Tubes are good all around jigs for macks. Tipped with a little sucker, carp, or cisco (if you fish Bear Lake) seems to be a good bet. White/Pearls, Pumpkinseed, rainbow trout, motor oil, and glows have always been good to me. Other larger plastics with 1/4 to 1/2 oz leadheads will do the trick too. [/size][/font][/left] [left][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Down size for the ice. I like jigs 2" to 3" in length and sometimes smaller as opposed to bigger baits in open water.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Like I said, minnows, sucker, carp, cisco, chub can all be good bait for macks. Scents have been good to me, especially to hide your scent. Any of the game fish scents work along with shrimp and crayfish. [/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Hope this helps to get you started.[/size][/font]
[/left]
[signature]