Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chesterfield 01-01-15
We were able to hit Chesterfield for the first time this morning. It was also my boys first time ice fishing. The ice was plenty thick and it was cold! Below zero temps. A huge thanks to Tubefisherman and Jeremypeace!!! We were able to get into the fish! Unfortunately as I was dropping the first line in the water my boy told me his stomach was hurting real bad. He was a trooper long enough to catch 5 planters in less than 45 minutes. So although a long drive and short time on the ice it was nice to get out and fish with the boy. Here's to a new year and hopefully a lot of fishing.

Kevin
[signature]
Glad you got into some.. I plan on hitting it this weekend, and if you are out are welcome to join..
[signature]
Did you get to Chesterfield? How was it? I live in Idaho Falls and would like to go tomorrow. I've never fished it, so is the sportman access ok or by the dam better? The map shows a couple of roads into it, Basin Rd and Banks Rd. Does it matter which one? Maybe the snow makes a difference. I drive a 4x4 so can put chains on if needed. Look forward to hearing from you.

----fallfish
[signature]
I recommend following the access signs in.. Blazer hyw to toponce road follow toponce tell you come to the access sign.. Banks is the other side of the reservoir and is not maintained past the houses in.. And there are a few dogs that love to try and get ran over.. I've had luck all over the reservoir. The main inlet is right by the dam.. But its usually ocupied by others if you are not there early enough.. Just remember it got almoast drained this last summer/fall and was hit very hard allot of people fished it and kept their limit then some.. Not many big fish left there.. They did a count in November early and said that the bigger fish count 18+ inch was the lowest it has been in 15 years.. They stocked a ton of fish just before freeze to provide a decent fishery for this year.. Sad to say chesterfield has become a put and take.. The glory days are gone..
[signature]
Lets hope for a good water year this winter. Late summer last year the reservoir had so much algae I had a ring around my boat when I pulled it out at the end of the day. I did not keep anything, but I heard the fish kept tasted like mud.
[signature]
Thanks for the info with directions. It will probable be next week before I can go. Going to my son's in Bozeman and will fish Canyon Ferry for a couple days this week.

Enjoy walking on water.
[signature]