Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A blast at strawberry for the new year
Great fishing day!! [sly] I took my daughter and my bro in law joined us as we went to the berry. We started late and got there around 9:30. The fishing was great from the start we fished for about 4 1/2 hours and caught 30 between all of us. Best of all my daughter had a blast [cool]. We were on 3 inches of ice I caught most of mine on a white tube jig tipped with a wax worm just off the bottom at about 20 feet. Here are some pics.
[signature]
[left]Nice report !!!! Love to see kids love the sport of fishing.[cool]
[/left]
[signature]
Sounds like you guys had a great day! It's great to get out with the kids. We were up there today on the soldier creek side. The water came through pretty bad after we drilled holes. Water would slowly leak up through the hole until we found ourselves standing in 2 inches of water an hour or so later... a product of thin ice, snow on top of it ( weight), and open water way out in the main bay...
Did you guys experience any slush like we did?
[signature]
Awesome! [fishon]
[signature]
Well done.
[signature]
Cowboy Up!
How thick was the ice at Soldier Creek?
[signature]
Stickwaver - Which part of Strawberry were you guys fishing?
[signature]
not much slush, it all felt pretty sturdy and stayed that way the whole day
[signature]
we were at chicken creek east, just out in the bay, there were a lot of people there everyone seemed to be doing well. I heard the ice was a bit thinner at soldier creek.
[signature]
[quote maquina]How thick was the ice at Soldier Creek?[/quote]
Two inches, and cracking under my feet. Open water towards the marina.
[signature]
I had the wadding pool problem at the ladders. Ice was 2" maybe, looked more like 1 1/2". The closer you got to the channel the more scary looking the ice so be careful.
[signature]
Nice! thanks for the report! Day like that will keep them coming back for more. Even if it is as cold as it was this morning. I was there myself (i think, jakes bay?) with a first time ice fishing friend. Probably pulled in just before you. We were pretty much the only ones that went away from the tent city.. My report would be almost exactly the same except it was nice and quiet out there. Fish were mostly average slots but fun.
[signature]
It was a tent city, luckily it didn't affect the fishing. Glad you had a great day as well!
[signature]
Great post. Looks like you guys had a blast! I hope to get up there soon. Thank you for sharing.

Kevin
[signature]
There is no fishable ice by the marina?
[signature]
Ya I went to the ladders and fishing sucked. Caught 1 bow 16.5" and probably many dinky cutty sniff my meal worms. Should of went to chickent creek [Sad] as well I wish my showdown was not at the shop still could of made the fishing easier then guessing where they are at.
[signature]
Strawberry bay is solid ice with no slush went I checked it after trying the ladders around 3pm fished for 1 hr there with not a single bite then left.
[signature]
At the ladders it was pretty slushy after noon.
[signature]
I actually tried to contact you but didnt have cell service. Would have told you to come meet up with us. finder makes a huge difference.
[signature]
No service lol I had full bars all day long [laugh] Verizon got the best service reception. Ya fishing sucked for me and sure wished I had my fish finder. Might not go on the big lakes till I get it back.
[signature]