Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1-2-15 Mantua report
Yesterday I went up to Mantua with my oldest son and brother in law. We got to the lake ~9am and setup away from crowds and fished the northern part of the lake. We fished 3 different spots in the same area over the course of the day from 6 FOW to 11 FOW. Ice thickness ranged between 4-5". The trout seem to come through in waves as it was often to have multiple lines get hit about the same time and then long periods of nothing. We did not pick up any bluegill or bass and only manged 7 perch (all looking quite healthy and between 10-11"). The rainbows were the most common for us with us each catching a limit and releasing a number beyond that. Many of the trout were thinner planter style, while some that we picked up had been in the lake long enough to put a bit of size and better shape to them. We used jigs tipped with wax worm, meal worm and bits of crawler. The trout didn't care what we put down and we didn't catch enough perch to be able to say if they cared or not. Anyway here are a few pics and more info/pics can be seen in the link to my blog below...
[signature]
Nice report, nice looking fish. The game is afoot for shirly.

That's what I've seen too - fish moving, me not. But when they come through there's usually bites. But sometimes it's all slimers, other times perch, bluegill.

Tugs is tugs.
Well I can't claim any real knowledge of that lake as I've only been to it 3 times now. All three times we have avoided the crowds and have yet to go home empty handed but then also each time has been very different in what we caught and in what quantities.

Another thread got me thinking, as I'm only in my second season of fishing on the ice, that I need to better understand where structure (weeds or otherwise) might be located and that knowing this might help in the pursuit of the perch and bluegill. This got me thinking that is this was on soft water I'd follow TD's advice to kick my tube around in big S turns until I found the depth and where the fish where at. So the question is how do I effectively translate that to ice fishing? I worry that the walking on the ice, drilling etc would produce noise enough that when I drop my transducer down I wont see any fish. Seems harder to survey on the ice at least when it's shallower.

Anyone with some good advice on how to tackle a lake you don't really know well before hand from the ice?
[signature]
"Anyone with some good advice on how to tackle a lake you don't really know well before-hand from the ice?"

The more you fish it, the more you'll get familiar with it. That's about the best advice any of us can give you.

When you're on the ice, unless you have a real accurate GPS it's gonna be hit and miss. So just keep at it.
[signature]
Nice pics of the chunky perch.
[signature]
[#0000FF]It definitely helps to have some "history" on any water you plan to fish. But lacking that you do need good sonar and some basic knowledge of fish and fish habitat preferences...and the basic underwater topography of the lake.

Mantua is a big bowl with not much radical variation in depth or structure...besides weed beds. There are steeper slopes along the eastern shoreline, especially out off the big hill. But otherwise it is shallower around the edges and deepest in the middle...with only minor humps and holes here and there.

On lakes with varied shoreline you might want to drill holes out along underwater points...on both sides...to find at what distance and depth the fish are holding. Then duplicate that on other points once it slows down on the first one. In other cases the fish will be on flats...between points or humps.

As some have mentioned, the fish in Mantua seem to move around and don't have much to hold them in most areas. You gotta keep moving to find them or plunk down and wait them out. The difference is if you can find a spot with some remnants of the thick summer weeds. Weeds attract and hold invertebrates and the baby perch and bluegills upon which the larger predators feed. Find the groceries and the fish will come.

Many of the better quality sonars will allow you to "shoot thru ice"...without having to keep drilling test holes. If there is clear clean ice, with no frozen slush on top or lots of bubbles, you can set the transducer on the ice and it will provide a reading of the bottom...and usually of fish. You may have to dribble a bit of water on the ice before setting the 'ducer down to make a solid shoot.

If there is a bit of snow over slick ice, just kick away the snow where you want to shoot...or use a small scoop shovel. Then the water trick will usually work. But later in the season...after repeated snow, slush, refreezing, etc. it becomes harder to find a spot to shoot through the ice.

I have been using the Showdown for about 3-4 years and I have it rigged so that I can move along in my sled...periodically shooting to see what is below. I carry a 2 quart insulated container of warm water and that is usually enough for a full day of "seek and ye shall find". I keep the Showdown running in my sled and just hold the transducer cord in one hand for quick use.

On some lakes...like Mantua...there are more fish per acre than on other lakes...like Starvation. You shouldn't have to move very far in most cases to find more fish. But there have been days on lakes like Deer Creek and Starvation that I had to make a lot of "ice shots" before finding the right area and the right depth to start drillin' and chillin'. Saved me a lot of wasted time and trial holes for nothing.

You are right about excessive noise having an effect on the fish. But if you move slowly and with light footfalls it isn't as bad. And once you locate an area with good potential, drill your holes quickly and quietly and then sit quietly to wait for the fish to settle down. Surprisingly, you will get some of your best action within a short time of setting up. In some cases it almost seems like the noise of getting set up draws in some curious fish. But banging buckets on the ice and stomping loudly between holes usually is not the best remedy for getting more action.

You are also wise to avoid the crowds...as long as you can find and catch fish. Seems like the majority of ice anglers operate on the "herd instinct". They gotta gather around others...even when nobody else is catching much. If you use good search techniques and remember "You cain't ketch 'em where they ain't" you will soon find your own honey holes. Just be prepared to have a whole lot of new (herd) friends who want to join you and help you make plenty of noise to improve your fishing.

If you want to have some fun, wait until the fishing has totally died off and you are planning to go anyway. Then move a long ways from anybody else on the ice and set up. It helps to have a buddy to help. Drill some holes and then start yelling loudly and acting like you are slaying the fish. Now look at your watch and see how long it takes to get a steady procession of "ants" heading towards you across the ice. An even better variation is to not even drill any holes and then pack up and leave before the other guys get there...and watch the look on their faces when they figure it out.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Thanks for the feedback and ideas. I'll have to give the shooting through the ice a try.
[signature]
[#0000ff] "An even better variation is to not even drill any holes and then pack up and leave before the other guys get there...and watch the look on their faces when they figure it out."

[#000000]Now that would be awesome![/#000000]
[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[#0000FF]I gotta admit I have never actually done that...but I codgertated on it. Us old guys can be biodolical sometimes...or however that goes.

I also gotta admit I have walked out to meet a couple of groups headed for my isolated fish sanctuary and let them know they were not welcome. I'm a nice guy and usually friendly but I have had too many good bites turn to &%$@# when others crowd in close and start power augering and tromping around right next to my holes.

On the other hand if someone hails me from a distance and asks for suggestions...or if I would mind if they come closer...I am usually a pushover and I have even invited them to drill right next to me. If they have kids and are polite about it I will do everything but put the fish on their lines. Always a sucker for kids.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]