Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another Strawberry Report 1-3-2015
My son and I went to the Berry (along with everyone else). We took the snow mobile and drove the road (7 miles or so) over to Renegade. We had the bay to ourselves. The wind was blowing slightly and after a couple of hours I setup the tent and then finally gave into lighting the heater. My son lasted a couple of more hours and then he joined me. We fished in 25 feet of water and had to take turns defending each other from the constant attack of locals. We did not keep count, but it had to be over a 50 fish day (25 or more each). We had 3 nice bows landed within the 1st 30 minutes. After that, all we caught were cutts. All in the 17 to 19 inch size. We arrived at 9:30 and stayed until 3. The bombardment of incoming was pretty consistent. The ice was 5 inches (took a measurement not a S.W.A.G. (scientific wild ... guess)). The ice was clear with about 1/2 inch of blow snow. Great day. I drove the snow mobile out on the ice for 4 feet while I turned around. I could have parked at the tent but chose to wait until the next trip before venturing onto the ice with the machine. At the end of the day, I lowered the GO-Pro to the bottom. The fish came to investigate. Some interesting video's, especially of the bottom.
[signature]
Thanks for the report. Sounds like a great day with very few interuptions and even less crowds.[Smile]
[signature]
Think a guy could ride a 4 wheeler down the road? Does that road get packed enough to old the weight of a 4 wheeler?
[signature]
Alcoholic, several people took their UTV's down the road. One group of two machines stopped at the bay next to Renegade where the creek comes in. I could not see any signs of sinking machines either on the way in or out. UTV's are becoming quite a popular mode of travel as of late. They are a bit heavier than an ATV, so I would suppose that if they can make the trip, so could an ATV. None of them tried to cross the snow down to the lake, all parked on the road. Give it another week and I am sure you could drive across the ice, which is a much quicker route.
[signature]