Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry Tiger Trout
I caught a 20" Tiger Trout at the Ladders in 8' of water on a 2 1/2" white tube jig tipped with a Red Sided Shiner Minnow on 01/03/2015 at 10AM. I talked to a person and he said that back in 2008 they put 50 Tigers in Strawberry for a contest and only 12 was caught. Does any body have any information about Tigers in Strawberry? I turned the Tiger loose to catch more chubs.
[signature]
From you stated location I would be more suspect that it has washed in from Currant Creek more than anything.
[signature]
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
I never heard of that contest but regardless a tiger at the berry is a rare treat..one that I wish wasn't so rare if you ask me.
[signature]
An occasional tiger trout has been caught near The Ladders. A few come through the tunnel from Currant Creek. If a tiger trout was large enough to be caught in a tournament back in 2008, assuming it was still alive, it would likely be much larger than 20 inches in 2015.
[signature]
Welcome to the site SLL, nice looking tiger, great color on it. So the contest you are talking about, do you know if they tagged the fish? There are a couple of fish biologist on this site that have made the statement that in Flaming Gorge and Bear lake there are fish that never grow bigger than 20" or so and they are 10 to even 20 years old, so it is possible that that fish is from the 2008 contest but I'd say as others have, that is not likely, mainly because of the growth rate of tigers.
WH2
[signature]
Has anybody ever caught one of these male tigers over 22-inches. I would love to get one mounted if I could catch one > 25-inches. I have never caught one over > 22inches. I know the females get bigger; however, they are not as pretty as the males.

This tiger definitely escaped from Currant Creek reservoir & travelled down the Strawberry Aqueduct to Strawberry Reservoir. Beautiful fish!
[signature]
I pulled a male at 23 inches out. Gorgeous kype, gold coloring, really dark tiger stripes.

My biggest tiger still remains a 23 inch, 5 pound female.
[signature]
That is a cool site to see. I've only caught tigers up in the uintas.
[signature]
That's SWEET! Nice work releasing it! Eat dem chubs!
[signature]
i would say it came from current creek. If it were a tiger from 2008, it would be a lot bigger! Probably just came down form CC
[signature]
I got one about that same size in the spring there at the ladders also, Beautiful fish! but I to returned him to eat the chubs![Wink]
[signature]
Nice catch, but a 20" rainbow would be much more impressive to me. Just my opinion, but TIGER TROUT SUCK!!! Just a cheap excuse for lazy DWR management.
Throw 'em in and forget about 'em. Frankenstein fish that are too easy to catch and don't hold true to any normal fish behavior. TRASH!
[signature]
Don't sugar coat your feelings about tigers.
Open up your heart and mind and tell us your real feelings.
[signature]
[Smile]
[signature]
You mean to tell me some folks actually LIKE tiger trout??
Some people are so strange.
I guess for a simple to catch, better to eat than cutts or browns and something to take home and eat tigers definately "fill the bill".
[signature]
Those fish are stunted (or just slow growers like lake trout). They are never able to jump to that food source that will push them to that next size. For example: converting over from an invertebrate to vertebrate diet. Willard catfish are an excellent example of this. Generally not an issue in the rich waters of the Berry.
[signature]
Beautiful fish, thanks for sharing. I have only had a couple occasions to catch tigers, mainly out of Lost Creek when they planted a grundle of they a couple years back. Can't say that I have hooked into one since up there.
[signature]
Welcome to BFT! That is a beautiful tiger.[cool]
[signature]
I love the look of those big Tigers, IMHO they are one of the prettiest fish out there.
[signature]
Great looking fish. I really like the looks of the Tiger.
[signature]