Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flasher or underwater camera question
I have been toying with the idea of getting a ice transducer for my Hummingbird 195c fish finder but I think my money may be better spent investing in a new flasher or underwater camera.

I think I am leaning more towards an underwater camera just for the visual feedback versus the flashing lights of the flasher. I do not have a lot of experience with either tool, so if anyone would like to weigh in on what their personal preference is and why I would really appreciate the input. Thanks in advance.
[signature]
If you only have the money for one or the other I suggest either get an ice transducer for your current fish finder or get a new flasher. Underwater cameras can be fun for awhile, but they definitely will not replace a fish finder.

Some of the issues with an underwater camera is that you need to have it pointed at your jig and that can be an issue with deeper water and when fishing different depths. You will only see a fish at the depth the camera is at. A fish can wrap around the cable and break off. If the water isn't fairly clear you will only see a short distance.
[signature]
Very good points. Gives me a bit more information in the decision. Thanks
[signature]
I think the camera is best ,I have the marcum an it comes with sixty feet of cable an the only place I fish that deep is the gorge or bear lake ! Kenton is right about the fish possibly tangling up in the cable but that's the chance you take .. I think it's best cause you can see exactly what the structure an terrain around you , plus there has been lots of times I've had fish gum my jig an you couldn't even tell you had a bite an you can figure out the behavior of the fish if they like it to be jogged hard ,fast little bumps, dead sticking or laying it on the bottom . I love mine an use it almost every time I go an sometimes I find a good spot an pull the cam up . Most of the lakes around here have pretty good visibity I keep mine about six feet away from my lures ,the marcum also comes with a panner so I can view 360degrees it's pretty cool ! But it's all preference Good luck
[signature]
I really like the idea of seeing what is going on under the water and how the fish react to different jigging techniques. I guess it would not be limited to ice fishing as well and would be fun to see what is happening when anchored in my boat. That would make it a 365 day a year tool versus the 4 months or so of safe ice (give or take). More to think about. Thanks
[signature]
[quote buckhunterhart]I really like the idea of seeing what is going on under the water and how the fish react to different jigging techniques.[/quote]

You will be able to learn this once you figure out how to work your fishfinder as well. IMO, the biggest shortcoming with a camera is that you cannot see the entire water column, while a finder/flasher/ whatever you get, can see from top to bottom. A sizable number of fish I catch on the ice come through at depths well above where my jig is and I reel up to them. You would be oblivious to them with only a camera.
[signature]
That is a great point. Given the stationary nature of ice fishing I see the advantage of getting the entire column view at once.

Anyone have any experience with or knowledge of the Hummingbird ICE 35 unit? I have been happy with my 195c, and this looks like a cost effective unit for a guy who does not get out on the ice more than a dozen times a winter.
[signature]
My dad bought an ICE 35 several years ago when he saw how much more fun (and success) I was having with my old (10+ years) Vexilar. It's pretty good bang for the buck. He likes it a lot, as do I. I use it when he doesn't come. =)

Things I like about the ICE 35 in comparison to my OLD Vexlilar:

-the flat face
-dual beam
-better in deeper water
-less susceptible to interference from other fish finders
-has zoom feature (although I rarely use it)
-better "resolution"

As far as camera vs. flasher, I'd give the nod to the flasher. I agree with all the comments above for both the camera and the flasher. Either one will be fun and helpful.
[signature]
Thanks for the input, I may have to look into one.
[signature]
Finder first then camera i would say. Another option. Take a finder with a flasher option and make it a portable finder(dual beam w/ flasher is like 3 finders in 1). I have the HB 718 i think. Screw it and small batt to a board, cut to fit in a small box and/or tackle bag(helps a lot with moving it around), screw ducer to pvc pipe with a T and extensions pipe on top for ice fishing, and you can strap it to a boat. Thats what i did, works pretty well on reg mode so you dont have to look at blinking lights but better for bottom fishing and small fish on the flasher. Ducer gets a little beat up, im might try a golf club cover on mine. Just need to hook up the gps and track all my holes and hot spots.
[signature]
fished the lx9 for a year and the camera hardly got used because of the poor water clarity. the best place to use it was starvation and even then i used the flasher over the camera. i would go with the lx9 if you want a camera because its both a flasher and camera or if you wont a flasher i would get the lx7 by marcum great units!!!
[signature]
I have both and they each have their place. If your fishing Mantua a camera is the best because most fish are on the bottom and a weed 1 foot high will render a finder almost useless. If you're not fishing right on bottom or a certain structure a camera is almost useless. It is a pain in the neck to move around and setup. If I could only have one hands down flasher for reasons already posted. A camera is kind of a novelty and not nearly what I imagined. I'm not getting rid of it though. Kids love it.
[signature]
I just managed to put together a very cheap camera system that uses a USB camera with my phone. I haven't got to try it out yet so I'm not sure how good it will be and this is the cheapest and most versatile design I could come up with. Basically its a 2 meter (6 ft.) inspection snake camera that I managed to get for $15 from Newegg, a microUSB OTG (on the go) adapter, and an android app.

This is the camera (now up to $20): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...lsrc=aw.ds

And this is the adaptor: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B4GG...UTF8&psc=1

I put this together for just $20, its definitely not the best camera but its cheap so I don't have to worry about sticking it places it might get damaged. Its also a flexible wire so I will have to get a pole for it so I can point it where I want but that should be quite cheap as well if I just build something simple myself. This is by no means guaranteed to work for everyone but it is a good option if you are looking for a cheap simple camera to experiment with. I plan to use mine fishing as well as for looking inside tight spaces when doing thins such as working on cars or the boat, lots of time has been wasted trying to locate a nut on the back side of a panel or other obstacle.

My phone is a rooted Galaxy S5, but being rooted wasn't needed for the USB camera app.
[signature]
Now that is thinking outside of the box! Who'da thunk!? Awesome idea.
[signature]