Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where to get a book price on a boat
Does anyone know where I can get a book price on a boat. My dad is going to sell he boat this spring and we'd like to know what the going asking price would be. I remember seeing a web site way back one apon a time but I don't remember where it was at.

Not to keep you in suspense, He has a 1966 Starcraft 18 foot aluminum with a Merc inboard-outboard 4 cyl. It has a full covering canvas cover that extends high enough for you to stand up in. The boat trailer is a tandam axle trailer that tows beautifully behind any truck. I know he'd like to get at least $2,500. for it. I'll post some pix this spring when we get it out of storage and up to his house.
[signature]
You can go to www.nadaguides.com, follow the links for boats, and you should be able to look it up. Not sure if it goes back quite that far but you should be able to come close.

You could also call your bank/credit union, and they will tell you the book price...just make sure you have an account with them.
[signature]
im not sure a 'blue'book' price exists for a boat 38 years old, but you may find another boat like it being sold on: [url "http://www.boattraderonline.com/"]http://www.boattraderonline.com/[/url]

sm
[signature]
Sm that's what I was thinking of looking for him. Thanks for the reminder. NADA won't go back that far.
[signature]
One thing you will probably find is that most guys selling a boat arent using a book.

The book values on outboard engines are quite low, but you cant seem to find one for book value. Everyone wants more. The book values on boats may be a bit more accurate, but since they are most always sold in pairs, its hard to determine how much you are paying for each.

Seems like most guys just figure out what its worth to them, then sell it for that. glad to see someones looking up the value of it first. But it wouldnt surprise me if you find out the book value is lower than what you would like to get out of it.
[signature]
You're right on there. My uncle buys and sell boats for a hobby. He says the motor is all that really counts on the older boats. So hedoesn't even care too much about the condition of the boat of what it cones with. If its got a good motor then athe boat is just along for the ride.

He'll buy a an older boat fix it up marry it with a good motor and "walla" you got a good unit.

Sometimes he'll buy a several boats with crappy motors fix up the boats then look around for a good motor or easily fixable motor for sale for a little bit of money get everything running then sell the whole package.

He never pays anything close to book and says you're only dreaming if you want book value unless its a new motor.

Without the motor you're not going anywhere. Sorry to be harsh but its reality. Yeah I'd like to get book on something I sell but it doesn't happen.

Close but no cigar.
[signature]
When I sold my last boat,I got a book price from my credit union.
[signature]
There is a web site that deals in boat prices, [url "http://www.BUC.com"]www.BUC.com[/url] they have a sign up but it's free,
[signature]