Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry is ready for the machines!!!
This was posted in another report.. sounds like its time

Re: [kentofnsl] Berry report In reply to
In the spirit of full disclosure, 3 of us did ride out across the bay from the ramp to Hawx Pt. Ice was solid 7 inches and we didn't see any problem areas but it looked like we were the first to do it and the ice was really making lots of noise while we were fishing so we took the road back to be safe.
That was a expensive lesson. Hopefully nobody got hurt.
[signature]
LMAO! [crazy] always gotta be someone try to be the first one to do it!!!!
[signature]
They probably read this thread.[Image: happy.gif]
[signature]
was it a side by side? I saw two guys joy riding and flying around on a side by side out there as we were walking back in.
[signature]
I would be very careful with any type of 4-wheeler or snowmobile on Strawberry right now and for the next couple of weeks. Lots of pressure ridges, big cracks, etc.
[signature]
yeah i seen them to, they were off drifting around the ice having a good ol time.
[signature]
I would exercise extreme caution if your going to take a machine out on strawberry right now. I was at the ladders yesterday, and saw 2 places where it looked like someone lost a machine (due to the tracks, the size and shape of the broken ice). There wasn't any open water, but the new ice looked like it was only about an inch thick.

The rest of the Ladders area looked ok, we did see several small open holes, ranging from 6"- 15". They looked like maybe springs or bubble ups. There were also quite a few pressure ridges. One new ridge formed by us and had water gushing out of it. I also saw 3 small pockets of open water near the major pressure ridge.
The ice we fished on was about 5", but we found a spot that was only about 3".
Fishing was fair, but not horrible.
[signature]
[quote utfishfreak]

I wouldn't get to excited yet. a four wheeler went to the bottom this afternoon (1/10/15) west of strawberry bay marina.

[/quote]

Assuming it was the same two guys, they were driving around all over the ice near The Strawberry Marina. I even watched them drive right over the pressure ridge. BTW - the previous major pressure ridge, around The Strawberry Marina, cracked again while we were fishing there on Saturday. That pressure ridge was dangerous before and now is much more so.
[signature]
[quote utfishfreak]I wouldn't get to excited yet. a four wheeler went to the bottom this afternoon (1/10/15) west of strawberry bay marina.[/quote]

Did anyone get a waypoint? The added structure ought to make that spot a nice place to fish. ;-)
[signature]
Welcome to BFT! Appreciate the heads up. Looking forward to reading more of your reports.[cool]
[signature]