Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gizzy Bugs?
I vaguely remember reading about these on the forum a while back and I seem to recall that they slay the panfish and trout through the ice. I assume they would work for white bass as well?

I picked up some from Sportsman's warehouse the other day in white/red flake, and I was wondering the best way to rig them while I wait for my 1/64oz Maniac jig heads to arrive in the mail. Smallest jig heads I have are 1/16th with size 6 hooks, which seem a little large for these guys.

How could I best rig one on a size 8 or 10 bare hook?

And how do you usually fish them? Deadstick, or jig?
[signature]
Ask PIKEMAN. He swears by 'em, uses 'em, eats 'em, sleeps 'em, and probably raises 'em.
[signature]
Smart ass!!!! Wink My Moto is: "DON"T leave home without em". What I would use for them white Bass is the gazilla which is the big brother to the gizzy bug. Use the same color on one of maniac's vertigo jig heads. It white or Glo. Take a sharpie and put an eyeball or 2 on it. If you cant find them down in the valley Scheels in Salt Lake or One Stop in Heber is your go to spots. Let me know if there is anything else I can help you with. Back to bed with the boys. Gizzy bugs cutter bugs and gazilla's.
[signature]
I'm going to take them out and try a battery of experiments on them next time I hit UL, targeting panfish and whities. I rigged up a whole bunch today in all sorts of different ways to see what's good and what's not. Hopefully after my next outing I'll be able to report on white gizzy bugs paired with:

-1/16 oz black leadhead with yellow eyes and a size 6 hook
-Red eagle claw baitholder hooks in size 6
-Bronze size 10 bare hooks
-An orange ice jig bug with a size 8 hook
-Dropshotted below a 1.5" white tube jig

We'll see how it goes!
[signature]
Here is a saying that pertains to shooters and also relates to fishing tackle:
"It is the indian, not the arrow".
You will save yourself a ton of money if you remember this.

P.S. The most effective tool in your toolbox is something money cannot buy. Confidence.
[signature]
I just want to know how you got them to breed [:p]
[signature]