Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Perch limits
So I have fished Idaho most of my life and always been a catch and release guy and never worried about limits. However lately I have been craving a good Perch fish fry. I know a number of lakes that have them in the southeast region.
I can't seem to find any info on a limit for them. Is there no limit on Perch statewide???
[signature]
There is no limit on perch. IMHO, you'd be wise to keep every perch you catch as they have a tendency to over populate and an under population is a far better problem to have than on over population. That's my 2 cents anyway.

I suppose you should probably check the regulations for the specific waters to make sure there isn't an exception listed that included a limit on perch, but I'm not aware of any. I believe Perch limits would fall in this category extracted from the 2013-2015 fishing regulations: All Other Fish Species includes bullfrogs and crayfish
• No bag, size or possession limit
[signature]
I have never seen a limit for perch listed anywhere in the regulations.

Years ago when I lived in Oregon I had been fishing a coastal lake with my kids and upon reaching the boat landing there was a fisheries biologist doing a creel check. We talked about the perch fishing and I commented on the fish being smaller than when I had fished the lake as a kid. His response was they were over populated and everyone should keep every perch they caught.

As there was no limit on perch, we started doing that. Ate the bigger ones and the small ones made great crab bait. Can't say we made a dent in the population but we sure had a lot of fun fishing in the morning and crabbing in the afternoon (tides permitting).

Long way of saying, keep them all if they are small in the hopes the population will thin some and those remaining will get larger.
[signature]