Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Toon or Yak??
I have been trying to decide for some time now whether I should get a pontoon boat or nice kayak for fishing. I have a decent amount of experience on pontoon boats but none with kayaks. To be honest, I will more than likely purchase a toon in the near future anyway but wonder if a kayak is worth considering. I am more specifically comparing something like an 8' fishcat toon to something like a predator kayak. If anyone has some major pros and cons on the subject, I would love an open debate about it. So far I have a few ideas on what MAY be some pros or cons to a kayak but let me know what you think.

Pros:
Traveling distance w/out motor
Customization
load capacity
Wind resistance??

Cons:
Physical weight
Sitting lower in the water

Thanks for the input!
[signature]
[quote watermarauder]I have been trying to decide for some time now whether I should get a pontoon boat or nice kayak for fishing. I have a decent amount of experience on pontoon boats but none with kayaks. To be honest, I will more than likely purchase a toon in the near future anyway but wonder if a kayak is worth considering. I am more specifically comparing something like an 8' fishcat toon to something like a predator kayak. If anyone has some major pros and cons on the subject, I would love an open debate about it. So far I have a few ideas on what MAY be some pros or cons to a kayak but let me know what you think.

Pros:
Traveling distance w/out motor
Customization
load capacity
Wind resistance??

Cons:
Physical weight
Sitting lower in the water

Thanks for the input![/quote]

I am only answering with my experience on both. My list on a Yak are:

Pros: travel distance without motor is "faster"
you sit completely out of water.

Cons: Physical weight of craft and bulkiness in trying to transport.
Hands free fishing specially in breezes.

Finding a pontoon with either Urethane or Bladderless will up you load capacity big time. For example, the NFO Predator weighs 13 lbs and has a pay load of 700.

On a pontoon the pros and cons

Pros:

You can row just as far as a Yak, just not as quick

You can in most cases easily add a motor with little fabricating.

You have fin power as well to hold a spot in breezes and subtle moves.

They are much light and do deflate for easy packing , plus those with frames break down small.

Cons:

You could be sitting with feet in water.

They are susceptible to temp and altitude.

They are easier to spring a leak than the molded plastic or fiberglass which is not to say this happens a lot.

Here is a little something else on this subject. This is a 14' raft with a drop stitch floor (which feels solid and can withstand studded shoes), plus four boxes for seats & seats, and oars in the back of a Grand Vitara.
[Image: IMG_1674_zps98a960e4.jpg]

The beauty of inflatable.
[signature]
Awesome!!
That may completely dissuade me from a kayak, at least one completely oriented towards fishing.
[signature]
Check out this site and if still interested in a Yak, look at the Stingray.
http://northforkoutdoors.com/
[signature]
You can expect tooners to recommend a toon and yakkers to tout a yak. Each has found what works best for them, so that's what they prefer.

I'm a yak guy. If you consider one, definitely get a sit-on-top model designed for angling. Sit-ins are great for ocean travel, running rapids, and general fun use, but not so good for angling.

You can get a decent paddle kayak designed for angling from Lifetime Products right now at "cabin fever" sale prices. If you decide it's not for you, used ones sell like lightning, too.
[signature]