Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry common courtesy
So I decided to come up to strawberry today to do a little fishing, I went away from the crowds as far as I could.I started catching a couple of fish and a father and son pulled their tent from clear out in the middle, probably a quarter of a mile away from me, two within 40 feet of my holes. In the picture you can see my auger and where my holes were and you can see where they pulled their tent into. Just something for you young anglers. When you have a lake as big as strawberry, have a little common courtesy and keep away from other anglers and where they are at

(Mod note don't hit the inline checknbox without finishing off the process for inline photos)
No Photo attached![Smile]
[signature]
Common courtesy . . . based on whose standards? Your standards trump other people's standards who enjoy company? What makes your position right, and theirs wrong?

I get wanting to have space. I prefer it myself where it's feasible. But I also recognize that I cannot expect everyone to have the same standards and desires that I do. If I want space, it's up to me to walk the extra mile, or to politely and kindly ask for it when I hear someone coming and thinking of setting up nearby. It is my responsibility and mine alone to meet my desires for solitude, no one elses.
[signature]
Charina I would respectfully disagree with you. By your definition courtesy would only be a one way street! You would try and do your best and people would walk all over you because you don't expect them to have even a small measure of courtesy in return. 5wtrod was just trying to get people to think a little about their actions. That doesn't seem to happen much these days. While Strawberry is public and folks can do as they wish, to crowd someone you do not know when there is space galore is pretty much rude in my book. While don't expect everyone to have my exact standards, I do expect them to have some small measure of respect and courtesy. Next time you find your solitude and someone crowds you, instead of walking away try sharing your idea of courtesy respectfully. Maybe you'll both learn something.
[signature]
I appreciate the discussion because I may actually hit the ice tomorrow and I am not familiar with the courtesy rules of Ice Fishing.

5wtrod... from the picture you posted it doesn't appear you are exactly "out in the middle of nowhere". It looks like there are 2 other camps about 100 feet or so of where you stopped and then the guy close to you about 40' away.

How much space is "personal space" ice fishing?

Just from what I've seen passing ice fishermen, 50-100 feet seems normal spacing. Of course just from afar I can't tell if these groups are affiliated or not.
[signature]
Walk all over you: Absolutely not! Go re-read what I wrote. It is my responsibility to communicate my expectations, my responsibility to let other's know their behavior is not acceptable to me to invade certain personal preferences, and my responsibility to do it appropriately. Don't you just hate it when you wife holds you to expectations that are no communicated? It's insanity! All that does is cause strife, and some poor person sitting in their tent steaming in reaction rather than acting appropriately and preventing grumpy feelings, like are posted in the OP.

Expect: Expectations are the source of disappointment and frustration. You must be careful in forming them. Expecting someone to act like you act, think like you think, behaving like you behave, is only going to lead to one ending. Ill feelings in the one holding expectations not met.

Respect and Courtesy: According to whose standards? That is the entire point of my post! It is patently foolish to have expectations that are not clearly defined and written as a standard for all to know. Where in the fishing guidebook does it set a standard that can be measured by is an appropriate distance? Some people will be offended by anything less than 100 yards. Some if you are within 20 feet. Who is right? Who is wrong? No one is right or wrong. It is personal preference, and not a big deal. We are talking about public space here, and there should be no expectation of "owning" any part we may happen to be currently occupying.

Fishing is a lot more enjoyable if we take responsibility for our own enjoyment and quit leaving it up to others to meet our needs.
I try to give people about 30 to 40 yard space on the ice, unless in the area I like to fish than it's less sorry! But hell none of us own the lake so if someone invaded my space so be it! I will either move or just deal with it! Fish on!
[signature]
I couldn't have said it better myself.Thanks [cool]
[signature]
Benefits to fishing next to other people:
If you're alone, they will be able to help you out if you fall in
If you're not catching anything and they are, you can ask what they're using or just glimpse over to get an idea (unless in a tent)
If they have a tent, it's basically like they aren't there
They pulled up but you're catching all the fish

Cons:
They are catching and you're not
You overhear their conversations
[signature]
The problem you have is everybody has a different Idea on what crowding is. I try to give people a hundred yards or so. If I get to what I feel is crowded I will usually move.

Good luck, and enjoy your time out fishing[Image: happy.gif]
[signature]
First of all you are not "our in the middle of nowhere" there are clearly other people fishing fairly close to you. And I think you have a funny sense of distance because if the dad and son are 40 feet away as you state then you measure with a funny ruler.

Second of all how do you know they moved closer because you were catching fish? I have spots that I like to fish on a lake. I either have a GPS or I triangulate based off topography to find the area. If I have it in mind that I am going to fish a spot then I am going to fish it. If you are already within 40 feet of that spot, well go suck an egg. I have my reason for setting up on that spot.

If someone moves closer to me, well I am fine with that too. There are way too many people on this site that get all bent out of shape for someone not meeting their expectations. [mad]
[signature]
That picture that I posted. The second camp you see down there that is green is at least 150 yards away from me. And I did walk clear around the corner over toward mud Creek to get away from everybody. I am clear on the backside and the people in the green tent are on four wheelers and they came after I did and they were very kind and stopped and asked if they could drive by before they actually did. Great group of guys. The auger is mine and then that red tent is the two guys that just walked up and parked right beside my auger
[signature]
Pookiebear
Nice to know that if someone set up on or near your GPS location, that you would just invade where they are at and tell them to go suck an egg.
[signature]
[Smile]

[Wink]

[:p]

[laugh]

[fishin]
[signature]
I try not to get very close to someone elses fishing spot even if it is my favorite. If they beat me to the spot that's my bad for not getting out earlier. If I am within about 60 feet of someone else I go over and ask if it would be ok to fish next to them. That's the right thing to do. If they don't want you that close to them be an ADULT and move on. there's plenty of room on the lake.
[signature]
I agree with you, except that what is too close depends on the interpretation of each angler. If I go fishing, and I feel that I might be getting too close to another angler, I have often asked them if I was OK or if they would prefer that I move further away. I was once fishing Utah Lake when another boat moved in where we were fishing and we could no longer cast (we were casting lures for white bass) where we had been casting, without tangling up with them. If the roles were reversed I doubt that I would have anchored up that close in the first place, and secondly, I certainly would have asked if I was too close.

With all of that said, I was once trolling Utah Lake, for white bass, when apparently I got closer to another boat than I should have and he went ballistic. So I have been on both sides of the situation.
[signature]
When you are fishing a public water the only space you can expect out of another fisherman is enough room that your lines are not going to tangle up. When your ice fishing thats not much. 40ft is plenty of room though the ice to not be tangling up lines. I can remember going out to Rockport years ago when the perch fishing was spectacular but they were schooled up in a tight area. Probrably 200 people ice fishing in holes 5ft apart. Everyone got along fine and was "courteus" to each other. And we all went home with plenty of fish and met some new people. Alot of times when people are "crowding" you they are just new to the sport and trying to see what everyone is doing. Have you ever gone out to ice fish and when you are looking over where to set up have someone invite you to fish next to them? What would it be like if everyone did that?
[signature]
You and I will have to respectfully disagree. I read your post about half a dozen times before I replied to ya. Unless your intent didn't come through on the typing, I still feel you think walking away is what you will do if somebody crowds ya. Have a fine day and good luck fishing. No worries.
[signature]
Ah ah ah, funny shit, I myself like to fish alone but if I'm catching fish and someone comes close and sets up camp I'm cool with it hell I will even show them how I'm rigged up and what bait I'm using, don't care much for the company but life's short and to see ppl having a good time even if they start out fishing me so be it a good day hearing fish on is a good fishing day.stop being grumpy old men and start enjoying the sport of fishing and the beauty of nature. Hard times are among us all with the world of hatred towards others so live life and thank God every day that you even woke up to fish. That's my two cents for what is worth.[angelic]
[signature]
Interesting topic. I can see the problem with fishing from the shore when someone crowds you. That prevents you from fishing the shore because now they are so close. You feel like you can't move at all because they are now there. I assume the same is with a boat, I wouldn't want to go too close to another boat because that prevents them from trolling and casting where they want. But with ice fishing...you drop the line straight down the hole.

I guess if you have found a secret spot you wouldn't want to be crowded, but how do you know that they don't know about it already and are mad that you are in what they think is "their secret spot".

you can see from my posts, I am new to ice fishing, so I appreciate the opinions of others whose I might meet out on the ice.
[signature]