Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mantua Ice?
Does anyone know what the ice conditions at Mantua are? I'm thinking about going up there this weekend if its safe.
[signature]
I drove by there on the 2nd and 4th to and from Bear Lake and seen people fishing on ice off the South end! Not sure how thick it is but was considering stopping and dropping a line myself!
[signature]
I remember reading that it was safe on either the DWR site or Doug Miller's last week. I tried to go back and find it but I couldn't. Hope that helps.[:/]
[signature]
Cowboy Up!
I see mantua's mayor on a daily basis. He lives right there near the lake.

He says guys have been fishing on it for a couple weeks, but you have to know what you are doing because the ice thickness keeps varying.

Some guys have been getting wet. But if you have watched the areas that have been iced up the longest, and follow them, you are alright.

Check the ice thickness regularly. Watch to see where other angler have been.

I imagine with this weeks colder temps, the ice will be good to go. But its best to be cautious.

I believe the mayors words were, "guys have been out on it, but I wouldnt go out on it."
[signature]
It is fully capped as of this morning and had 5 guys on it. I have not ventured out on it myself but looks good after that cold spell the last 2 days. Anyone who knows how to pull Bass through the ice out there I would be very interested in spending some time out there learning. I have caught lots of trout and bluegill never caught a single Bass through the ice.

tightline.
[signature]
Thanks Guys for the info I think my dad wants to try Echo or rockport instead. Tightline- I've never caught a bass through the ice either, thats why I want to go to mantua,I read in a book that the hard part is finding them and if you find them then the fishing can be fast for em, but scince my dad wants to go to Rockport or Echo I guess I'll have to try for some smallmouths[Wink]
[signature]