Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cisco Bear Lake
I am wanting to go to the Cisco Disco this next week and as it is my first time I need some advice. I've heard you want to go as far as you can wade on a no ice year. I am thinking about bringing my fishing kayak and want any input if it's worth taking up or if I just need my insulated waders? I've also heard a flat bottom metal net is best and if that's true where can you get them? Thanks
[signature]
Sportsmans in logan had a few left last night. Pugstones has them. I have a steel flat bottom style and a cloth style. It's 6's as to which is best IMO. Wading is the best tactic. Kayac would probly be more work than what it's worth unless you plan to fish. As for wading out as deep as you can it's not necessary. Actually better in my experience to only go out knee deep then rest the net on the bottom while maintaining a low profile.
[signature]
Is there any "time of day" better or worse for the runs?

Buddy just picked one up from Sportsmans/Logan - $35 I believe.

Any word - are they running yet? Thought I hear rumor they had already started, though other rumors are that in non-ice-years they run a week later...
It has been my experience that very first light of day they are up in the shallows, and as the day progresses they move out deeper. Last year we head to break through 1-2 inches of ice to net them, but at first light my wife pulled out a full limit in a single net lift. (we put back the small ones so that she could keep having fun.)
[signature]
The earlier the better, I've seen people with lanterns dipping before it gets light but first light for sure. Depending on how sunny it is, it could be over by 9 or 10 am, it really slows by 8 am, if it is sunny.
[signature]
Does the net color matter?
[signature]
They are starting to pick a few up on the rock pile while jigging, but as far as shoreline goes not yet. I took a drive around to look for them yesterday right at first light and didn't see even one, but that changes instantly when it does happen. They could be running in a day or two but it starts pretty slow for the first day. I'm going right now to check it again and if I see them I'll report it.
Hope to see you up here for the Cisco disco. They will for sure be running then.
[signature]
wear waders, go out knee deep, be still, dress in neutral colors. watch what the successful fishermen are doing. Be there at first light. It's over by 8am.
[signature]