Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WORLD RECORD PERCH
Hi Guys,

I dont know if this has already been posted but it appears that Idaho's State record Perch caught in march of 2014 is also the new World Record!

Pretty cool!

http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/public/medi...ewsID=7463

Just copy and paste link.
[signature]
That is awesome!!!
[signature]
Cheers to the young lady and congrats to her dad as well.[fishin]
[signature]
Its one heck of a perch. But just to clarify this is the ice fishing record. IGFA record is 4lbs 3 oz.
[signature]
It's not an ice fishing world record either.

SD state record is 2-12, caught ice fishing, I'm sure other states like MN and ND have bigger ice fishing perch as well.

This is the world record caught on a tip-up.
[signature]
I understand that it was a record for the tip up, doesn't detract from me congratulating the young lady and her dad. [cool]
[signature]
No at all my post wasnt in any way ment to take anything away from her or the fish. Its super cool . Just want to clarify as "world record" was loosly getting thrown around.
[signature]
[quote phutch30]Its one heck of a perch. But just to clarify this is the ice fishing record. IGFA record is 4lbs 3 oz.[/quote]

I'm kind of wondering whether the IGFA record for yellow perch is accurate. It's like 150 years old. Most state records are in the 2-3 pound range. You would think some bigger perch (or at least something close) would have been caught between now and then if 4lb 3 oz were really within their biological size limit.
[signature]
First.....congrats on a very nice perch.

StacyR.....I agree with you about the WR perch from 1865......of all freshwater records it is by far the oldest and would indicate it is probably less than accurate. You'd be surprised how few records date before 1950. Of those is the brook trout record which came from a strain of brookie now considered extinct. Also I've never believed in the 1932 largemouth bass record as that body of water never produced any other fish even close to 20 lbs.....and of course, the musky record which is another one that is probably incorrect. Problem with these old "questionable" records is they would be nearly impossible to break as they are, as you said, outside biological limits of the species. Enough pontificating.

Brian
[signature]
Well, at least with the LM bass record we know it's within the realm of possibility. Bass close to the record in size have been caught before, and a few years ago a guy in Japan caught one from Lake Biwa that was slightly heavier but not by enough to claim the new world record title. It's listed as a tie. That fish was covered in the media and has corroborating evidence.

With yellow perch, the largest state record is 3lbs, 12oz according to this chart:

http://www.landbigfish.com/staterecords/...desc&ID=39

The chart hasn't been updated since 2012 (it doesn't show the new Idaho record) but surely the numbers couldn't have changed that much. Even the 3lbs, 12oz record is highly suspect. It was supposedly 21" long with no photos and nothing to corroborate the record fish other than someone saying they measured it.

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7-153...--,00.html

IMHO, the first really credible record is the 1982 NY state record from Lake Erie at 3lbs, 8oz.
[signature]