Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mantua 01-19-15
Wiperslayer and I fished from 8 am till 1:30 pm. We started off fishing shallow in 6 to 10 of water, the bite was slow, mainly catching small perch but we did pick up one trout and a crawfish[crazy]. We decided to move to deeper water, 14' and it was game on. Picked up a couple of gills, a LMB and couple of jumbo perch. Not a bad day on the ice considering the pressure that lake has seen this month.
WH2
[signature]
Nicely done! I keep meaning to get out there again.
[signature]
Well done. How's the ice? I'm goin on a perch search tomorrow. I wanted to hit echo one more time, also the ice is fine there. BUT.......the bite has been slow.

Never fished the ice at mantua, can you pm me a little more info?

Thanks.

LT
Nice mess of Perch there Buddy
[signature]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
The ice is plenty good in the morning but the edges get soft by afternoon, not really a problem though because the edges are shallow. The key at Mantua is if you don't get a bite don't stay in that spot, keep moving until you find active fish. If you don't get a bite in 5 min move. Hope that helps.
[signature]
Thanks.
It's funny you say that Curt, it's good ice theory-101. This year I've been lucky or lazy. All both times I've hit Mantua I planted spot and sat. Felt good with the fish coming to me. And they did, in schools, and clutches. But it would be ON for bluegill, then later - Trout a-hoy, and pretty consistently the perch were in and out. But it was also earlier ice, and I'm sure the fish were exploring the smorgasbord they'd been presented under Tent City.

So litetackle, were you looking for other specifics on Mantua under ice?
As most - drop to the bottom then up a titch. But the trout will school shallower, like 5ft under ice - watched one swim right past my hole.
Small jigs for the bluegill (green/red - ratfinkees and such), perch and trout may be more aggressive.

Don't know if you've seen the map?
Thanks much. I've seen that map before. Someone posted a depth/contour map a while back, that's the one I've been searching for. I'm not sure where the deep spots are in that pond.

Any help would be appreciated.

LT
This one perhaps? He also posted some other tracking/scan maps...
That's not the one, it's better. Thanks for the help.

LT
Yea, on the early ice you can usually find one spot and stay put but as it gets later, that method is rarely a good plan. In most cases, the shotgun approach is better and be ready for some light biting or no biting fish. We stayed put when we first got there in the morning and caught a few fish but after an hour or more with no action, even when you know the fish are below you, you got to move, if you want to catch fish.
[signature]